DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2012 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. Son put a rod through the block. I ordered a new long block from Frasier Engine and it did not come with new MDS solenoids like it was supposed to. So I ordered a new set because the old ones all broke trying to pull them out. They fit in the block just fine but the electrical connectors are different. So I dug one of the ones out from the old motor and see that it is two pieces instead of one. The first piece is a magnet attached to a plastic retainer. That goes in first then the solenoid fits in.

So my problem is that the new motor, will not accept the magnet with plastic retainer. It is not machined enough. I can install the older style just fine but the new one does not fit.

So my question is if I install the old type and then get the plugs attached by soldering the wire in or getting the wire harness to fit, will the older style MDS solenoids worth with the ECM in the 2012?

This has been so frustrating!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Can I install the newer style solenoid and not use the magnet? This the the part that won't fit in my block.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
I am not a mechanic, but i think that a MDS engine uses a different Camshaft, among other things

I don't know anything about the MDS solenoids
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As far as the Spark Plugs go
You might think about using the 100,000 mile spark plugs & the coil packs that are used for those, the first year Dodge Ram used them was for the 5.7L engine in 2014

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So after studying the two types of MDS solenoids, I installed the newer type that fit the connectors but without the separate magnet that wouldn’t fit. The only thing I can see the magnet doing is keeping metal out of the valve assembly. Hopefully it will be ok. If they fail, I’ll install the older type with integrated magnet then modify the connectors. What a PITA.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
How did he put a rod through the block?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yikes, that'll do it

·
Registered
612 Posts
Just out of curiosity, how does removing the front bumper make it more susceptible to hydro lock? The stock air intake is at the top of the fender.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
The Air enters the filter box from down by the lower part of the grille

Pull your air filter & shove your arm down into the inlet

1 - 10 of 10 Posts