DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are a number of speed bumps and low speed turns in my neighborhood. Sometimes when accelerating from a speed bump, or going around a slow speed corner(5-15mph) MDS will kick in at around 13MPH while I am accelerating. One day MDS was activated in first gear around 10mph and even shifted into second still under MDS! Sounded really weird that's for sure. I was always under the impression that MDS will only kick on after xMPH something around 25. Is this an issue or normal operation? Or am I just driving too slow :)

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Mine appears to kick in whenever I back off the throttle, even at super slow speeds.

·
Registered
227 Posts
It's normal operation, my dodge does the same thing at low speeds. I was told on this forum depending what kind of shifting means you have, like next to the steering wheel + or -, or on the center console shift it to 4 for low speeds not to exceed 40mph and 5 for 45 to 55mph. It's all your preference, I get really upset sometimes at 10 to 20 mph and the MDS kicks on so I mash on the accelerator, and problem solved!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
i cant tell if mine is even working I dont think. How can I tell If I dont hear or feel anything. never! side streets, parking lots, main streets or freeway speeds, only thing I see is "eco" on dash,.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
...I get really upset sometimes at 10 to 20 mph and the MDS kicks on so I mash on the accelerator, and problem solved!!
Haha same here!

Yeah i figured it was 'normal' but still annoying. I guess I'll just have to wait till a tuner for the 2011 is released and hopefully they will allow you to adjust the MDS properties.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i cant tell if mine is even working I dont think. How can I tell If I dont hear or feel anything. never! side streets, parking lots, main streets or freeway speeds, only thing I see is "eco" on dash,.
The 'ECO' light lets you know when you are driving in an economically friendly way. It may include activating MDS, but not always. The way to tell would be to hook up a tuner (2009-2010) or install one of the custom MDS lights that plug in to your OBD port, or make your own with some of the instructions here on the forums.

Also, only the 1500 Hemi's have MDS.

·
Registered
307 Posts
You don't have to mash on the throttle to turn off the MDS. Just a flick of the shifter lever to put the transmission in '5' will turn off MDS. While in '5' the transmission will shift into all gears normally, but the MDS will be disabled.

I personally think the MDS should be automatically disabled until the engine reaches full operating temperature. I usually run my truck in '5' until my temp reaches normal.

Darin

·
Registered
698 Posts
You don't have to mash on the throttle to turn off the MDS. Just a flick of the shifter lever to put the transmission in '5' will turn off MDS. While in '5' the transmission will shift into all gears normally, but the MDS will be disabled.

I personally think the MDS should be automatically disabled until the engine reaches full operating temperature. I usually run my truck in '5' until my temp reaches normal.

Darin
On the MDS and full operating temp, I've been watching mine when I leave the house on cold startup. I have a 5 mile highway stretch into town, so I hit cruise on the flat pavement. When my truck is warmed up, it hits ECO-ON all the time unless there's a strong head wind on this stretch of road. Before the engine achieves the normal operating range around 200 degrees...I have an aftermarket guage unit connected to the OBDII port...I have not seen mine go into ECO-ON even with a strong tail wind. I'm thinking the MDS doesn't come on before the engine fully warms up, but this is just my observation with my truck. I've been monitoring everything very closely to get used to how this truck operates.

Edit: LOL!...wouldn't you know it. Several hours after making this statement on my observations up to that point, today I finally saw the ECO-ON while the truck was clearly not warmed up. So, disregard my previous comment, because it's fairly clear that the truck can go into MDS when the truck is clearly not fully warmed up. I will say that it wasn't rough or shuddering, but I was on the highway at highway speed, so it might be a different story in city stop-and-go traffic.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts