DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have a question and thought should make a question and answers thread. What I was wondering is the 5.7 Liter hemi enough to have extra power in the 2500 mega Cab. Looking at all different kind of cars and this jumps out at me alot wont be ordering till around the beginning of Nov.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
The Hemi 5.7L in todays trucks has all the power that you will need for anything
345 Cubic Inches, 390 Horse Power
the 2012 Rams have a Electronically Controlled 6 speed transmission
The rear end gear RATIO makes the whole package
3.21 ratio is best for gas mileage, terrible for hauling or towing
3.55 ratio is a bit lower in fuel efficiency, not too bad for towing on fairly flat land, you can get LSD with this setup
3.92 ratio, again less fuel efficient, better for towing in hilly country, on or off pavement, LSD is almost a must have
4.11 ratio is a work horse
the heavy duty 2500 model has leaf springs
will you have the 2 wheel drive or 4X4

You mentioned waiting until November to make the purchase
It looks like the Ram trucks may be changing transmissions, it is not yet written in stone, but they may have an 8 speed in 2013, We will know for sure in JULY, when they start building the 2013s

Good Luck on your decisions

·
Registered
337 Posts
So as stated so many times on this forum. We have the best and smartest people of all the forums out there. Just read the post above and know how we " RAM Forumz " roll.
Nice work GTyankee.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'll tell ya first hand, I have the 3rd Gen Mega Cab with the HEMI, so I have 45 less HP than the 4th Gens. The HEMI has the power when I want it, and then some. You won't be looking for more power, you'll be looking for handles to hold the f**k on.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The rear end gear ratios for the 2500's are 3.42,3.73 & 4.10. The 3.73 are standard, the 3.42 & 4.10 are options. The PW's get 4.56. If I had got a Mega Cab I would have gone with the 4.10.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have an 06 4x4 Megacab 1500 with the 5.7. Even though it's a 1500, you can't tell it from a 2500, as a matter of fact, the vin says it's a 2500. You will be surprised at how the Hemi moves such a big vehicle. I have the 3.73 gear, it's quick for a huge beast. But as always if you are planning to tow large trailers/recreation homes your best bet is the diesel.

·
Registered
128 Posts
A little advise, take it or leave it. If you are not towing heavy, I would recommend you get the 1500 with a Hemi, with 392 gears. Much better ride and no need to haul the extra weight of the 2500. Fuel milage will be much better. I have the 355 gears, which are good but I wish mine had the 392. I tow a fairly heavy boat and the 392 gears would have been better with very little sacrifice in MPG.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
I have the Mega with 4x4 and there is PLENTY of power. And I came from a Duramax. Of course it doesn't have the brute torque of my diesel, but it's damn impressive for a gasser :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased a 2012 megab. I think it has a 3.73. They have made the trucks lighter . The last truck I had was a 2006 megacab 1500 series and they were built on the 2500 chassie. I not able to comment to much on gas consumption right yet until I have had it for a while. Will be doing some hauling but for short distance 20 miles occasionally. Not sure about how the gears work , not a good explanation in the book or on the dvd there is nothing to explain how to use the gears . I have to take a trip the week so I will see how it is on gas then but I am sure there is a break in period.

·
Registered
669 Posts
test drive both a hemi and cummins in the same truck. I did and to be honest there was no comparison. There wasnt a comparison in the price tag either but it was def worth it IMO. good luck post pics when you get it!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
A gasser will never compete with a diesel but you gotta NEED the diesel to justify it.... unless you just have that kind of $$$. I have a 04' diesel for sale if anyone is interested :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts