DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys n gals. Just did oil change on 2013 Ram Sport 5.7 4x4... always have used 100% synthetic with Lucas oil treatment. just discovered a fair bit of filings in bottom of drain pan. I ran a magnet through and picked up some metal. do not know why the drain plug didn't pick anything up? do drain plugs lose their magnetism? I do regular oil changes and have never experienced any issues. the truck only has 121000 km. and yes i am in Canada. i purchased new and have treated it fairly well. i also noticed the exhaust manifold heat shields are loose at the back, which probably means i have broken studs in manifold. i heard putting headers on will help with heat dissipation and alleviate that issue. has anyone done this? results? has anyone used " Filter Magnets" and will it clear filings from engine? is there a way to figure out through testing what parts have failed? Is the engine warrantied?
please help!! i am new member and am hoping to pick the brains of me fellow Ram lovers.
Thanks for any and all help
Rockyroads

·
Registered
69 Posts
I’ve owned three Rams and I don’t believe any of them had a magnetic oil plug….I know my 2019 classic doesn’t since i just changed oil yesterday. Anyway, are you absolutely certain the the drain pan didn’t have the metal filings in it BEFORE you drained the oil? My drain pan gets used for lots of “stuff”, sits on the floor and anything could get in there. I generally wipe it out good before an oil change but I have forgotten…

otherwise, I would suggest you pull the pan (not fun, sorry) and take a careful look.
Another quicker option might be to clean the drain pan well, get the engine hot, and drain the oil again, looking for more metal…,if so, the pan has to come off. If not, it may have been trash from something else. Good luck.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Here is information on having the oil tested and the reports they can provide. I have not yet tried their services.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I’ve owned three Rams and I don’t believe any of them had a magnetic oil plug….I know my 2019 classic doesn’t since i just changed oil yesterday. Anyway, are you absolutely certain the the drain pan didn’t have the metal filings in it BEFORE you drained the oil? My drain pan gets used for lots of “stuff”, sits on the floor and anything could get in there. I generally wipe it out good before an oil change but I have forgotten…

otherwise, I would suggest you pull the pan (not fun, sorry) and take a careful look.
Another quicker option might be to clean the drain pan well, get the engine hot, and drain the oil again, looking for more metal…,if so, the pan has to come off. If not, it may have been trash from something else. Good luck.
hi.. yes i ensured the drain pan was spotless prior... unfortunately

1 - 5 of 5 Posts