DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well today I went to change my differential fluid hoping to find no issues. No such luck. I found a tooth missing from the ring and a little chip in the pinion. All the rest looked good. Spider gears seemed fine. I am guessing the rest of the metal is the clutch packs getting destroyed. Thoughts? How bad is it? Can I drive it at all if I change the fluid and remove all the metal? 2000 Ram 1500, Chrysler 9.25, 202k miles. Last question, once I get this rebuilt, could it be cheaper to remove the lsd and have it be a normal open dif?

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,716 Posts
Where is the cross pin bolt :rolleyes: Those usually fail from abuse and wreak havoc.

Depending on what the pinion looks like and axial tolerance measurement are will determine appropriate rebuild steps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cross pin bolt is fine. The only damage is to the ring and slightly to the pinion. The rest of the metal is the clips from the clutch packs. I'm probably going to baby this differential for a while and swap in a used one if it ever blows.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,716 Posts
Looks like a clutch tab guide in the rubble, borrowed time or cross fingers!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Looks like a clutch tab guide in the rubble, borrowed time or cross fingers!
Really crossing my fingers I can baby this dif. Really really really hoping it can last a decent bit longer with consistent oil changes and not being rough on it

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I do not believe oil changes are going to help you there sport. Damage is done. Looks to be a metal fatigue issue on that tooth. One tooth on the ring gear is never the drive force, you typically for your gear set would probably have 3 or more. Could be a week, could be a year. I would go buy a lotto ticket if it is still together.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts