DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering using Plastidip on my factory grille inserts and rims on my 2014 1500 tradesman, has anyone else had any bad experiences or pointers in this process? I want to do my inserts chrome (to match the grille trim and bumpers) and the rims black (big maybe).
Anyone that HAS completed this AND had it for a while, how does the Plastidip hold up in the weather or washes?

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Plasti-Dip holds up great to weather and washes. I've had my grille, wheels, bumper and nerfs done for over a year now and am very satisfied with the results. One of the biggest key factors is to layer well, 5 or more coats, and apply it in a wind free environment that's between 70 and 100 degrees, which shouldn't be an issue in your neck of the woods.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool, yeah it gets PRETTY warm here in the summer months (understatement) and I was sort of concerned about sun exposure damage or just general heat related damage. I am probably going to skip the rims, as I plan to purchase a new set after summer, and just do the grille inserts.
Does anyone know of a Plastidip CHROME paint or do you have to use a color/metalizer?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did across the bottom of mine ( the panel that runs from the front fender to the rear.about 4 inches wide). It has faded by the sun but I didn't clear coat it. That could make it last.But otherwise I like the way it goes on, looks great. Yes 4 or 5 coats.

·
Registered
6,700 Posts
I don't think they make metallic plastidip.

I have done my grill, hood bug guard, emblems, bumpers. Has held up very strong through the summer, winter, offroading very well. Takes the abuse of all the snow, rain, road salt and such like a champ.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Holds up really well. You'll want to make sure you get 5-6 layers on though, for a couple of reasons: Holds up better against bugs/rocks/etc, and it will be easier to remove if you choose to do so in the future.

On one of my previous trucks I plastidipped both bumpers, the grill, and all emblems. Held up for over a year for me. I removed it when I sold the truck. Had a few small dings in the front bumper/grill due to bugs and rocks, but that's it. I didn't do that great of a job on the layers, so removing it was sort of a pain in the butt. I ended up using a rag with WD-40 and rubbed it right off.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts