DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I figured there'd already be a thread or two on this since it seemed to be all over the news yesterday. I was on a funeral detail so I didn't get a chance to post yesterday.

Evidently Sergio Marchionne had some complications with his recent shoulder surgery that will not allow him to return to work; I know his timeline to leave FCA had been 2018 that he then pushed to 2019, but this sort of hastened his departure.

Mike Manley, who had been head of Ram and Jeep is taking over in his stead:

https://moparinsiders.com/breaking-fca-picks-ram-jeep-ceo-mike-manley-to-replace-marchionne/

As much as people trash talk Sergio he really stepped in and believed in Chrysler when not a whole lot of other people who were in a position to do anything did. There was Cerberus Capital, but nothing with them could ever be sustainable since they are always just looking to turn a quick profit, and ruin established brands (e.g. Remington) in the process. Now Chrysler is on track to solvency by the end of the year, despite the haters who have been saying that FCA is on the cusp of going under for the past 7 years.

My hope is that talks of mergers with Hyundai/Chinese/VW/GM/and anyone else that the auto press could think of left with Marchionne-that was really my biggest gripe with him. Also he had an affinity for Fiat that made him keep trying to make the brand succeed in the US while dragging down the Chrysler brands.

I am optimistic for Mr. Manley-at the very least he can't be any worse than Bob Eaton was :158:

·
Registered
708 Posts
Hope he wants to build up the company, not chop it up and sell off.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
It'll be interesting to see what, if any, changes occur at FCA. :popc1:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I think for the near term we can count on business as usual to continue until Manley gets into the swing of things at the new job. TBH I was hoping Tim Kuniskis would get the nod as Sergio's successor, but I am hopeful for Manley. I don't think he has the emotional attachment to the Italian brands that made Sergio dump money into them despite their questionable success at the expense of the American brands, especially Chrysler. Unfortunately I don't think he has an attachment to the American brands either so we will see how it all plays out.

He does seem very focused on maintaining the integrity of each brand's image-I know he pushed for certain off roading criteria to be met by all the new Jeeps for that reason, at additional expense and delay in their release.

I also don't mean to sound unappreciative of what Marchionne has done; without him there's not telling how the past decade would've played out for Chrysler-if it would have played out at all. You have to respect the man for his business acumen if nothing else

·
Registered
115 Posts
All the reports I've seen, and even read through a few, show Manley with a strong portfolio of Jeep's mission to aggressively grow the next 5 years. I'm hopeful his record of keeping the brand imaging to each line continues and maybe some of that past boosts the momentum further for Ram and Jeep...even at the cost of some of the attention being paid to Fiat's presence in the US as Thunderhorse mentioned.

It will be interesting to see this play out. FCA has placed itself in position to hit a new gear at this point. The new focus on the Ram as a luxury variant and Jeep's Swiss Army like ability to produce about anything they can dream up provides a lot of open horizon. I'd like to see Chrysler get a little more wind at its back, too.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed, Ford and GM are giving more attention to Lincoln and Cadillac so I think there is room to pump up Chrysler as a lux brand

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Does that mean, we get the cross hair grille back?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Does that mean, we get the cross hair grille back?
IDK, was Manley behind the new grille designs, and was his successor at Ram?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
With a guy named "Manley" running RAM, how did we end up with such a wimpy dial shifter instead of something more "manly". Irony sucks.

you forget- the workers and farmers are not the target anymore- as you see at the Jeep- prices. Be honest- who in the world can afford, what they want for a simple Jeep with ancient, cheap looking and cloggy interior?
And the RAM will also be pushed into the "premium" segment, as I read and see in the new gen. 5. Design, interior and technology pointing seriously in this direction. Everything has to look high class and premium- and breaks, when you use the truck as it's intended.

It decayed to an overpriced luxury "lifestyle" truck. Nothing for the common worker anymore. But good, that some suburban wannabe- cowboys can feel "somewhat"
manl(e)y.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
With a guy named "Manley" running RAM, how did we end up with such a wimpy dial shifter instead of something more "manly". Irony sucks.
What about the slap stick is manlier exactly? The fact it wastes 15% of the cab's space?

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
What about the slap stick is manlier exactly? The fact it wastes 15% of the cab's space?

you can't lay your under arm cool on top of it, while leaning over to the gal in the passenger seat and act like you're the only one able to tame the wild beast you're riding.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
you can't lay your under arm cool on top of it, while leaning over to the gal in the passenger seat and act like you're the only one able to tame the wild beast you're riding.
Well that's the problem, she belongs in the center seat. The window seat is for the dog

·
Registered
3,573 Posts
Well that's the problem, she belongs in the center seat. The window seat is for the dog

ain't no way she takes away my armrest for my elbow. my poodle sits on the box and my lab in the back seat- he loves to look out of the rear window.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts