DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a code kicking PO406 which indicates a EGR problem... Rather than guess... I figured I'd ask first and save myself some time. 2005 Ram W/5.7L Hemi with about 40K on it. Any suggestions?

G

·
Here's the DTC info:

When Monitored: With the ignition on, battery voltage greater than 10 volts.

Set Condition: EGR position sensor signal is greater than 4.89V, one trip fault. (this means it's reading a high voltage signal at the sensor)

Causes:

EGR Position Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted to the 5-Volt supply circuit (bad sensor, not reading, causing high resistance)

EGR Position Sensor Signal Circuit Shorted to battery source.

EGR Position Sensor Signal Circuit open

Sensor Ground Circuit Open

EGR solenoid assembly

Basically, most of these types faults are caused by a bad EGR sensor. They will also arise if you have a stuck EGR valve.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys... a guy I was talking with this weekend said he had an 05 Ram with the same issue and it was the EGR valve... but rather than just guess thought there may be a diagnostic procedure. Can the EGR solenoid tested with an ohm meter... and can the connector pins be tested with a volt meter? If so, anyone have the test info.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So what if I am pretty positive that it is grounding out or Definitely shorted to the battery source? Where would I look to find this problem because there's several things in my truck that are shorting out I think my Winchell wipers will come on randomly Like when I shut my door even if the truck is off and keys are not in it My dimmer on my radio will also fluctuate too dark and light repeatedly the whole time I'm driving.Ive looked everywhere for something grounding out andI Cant find anything

1 - 6 of 6 Posts