DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New (to me) 2019 Big Horn Classic. Bought it with 33k miles. Certified pre-owned vehicle.
Love the truck! Over the next few weeks I started noticing things. Primarily noise in the front end and vibration.
Please note I'm no mechanic. Hope all of this makes sense. :)

Make appointment with the dealer. They look it over and send me home with a loaner.
Replaced: Two front tires. Front driver side wheel bearing. Rear brake pads and re-cut rotors.
Pick truck back up. Take it home and notice vibration still. Around 60 to 70mph really but also at slower speeds on smooth road surfaces.

With the front tires being replaced I felt the back tires should be also. Took them to Goodyear and had them replace with same OEM tires. Wrangler SRA.
Now I have four new tires. Take it out...still feeling a wobble.
Ughhhhh.....

Go back to Goodyear...have them check rear tires and re-balance. The say they check good and send me on my way.
Still feeling a wobble.

Make another appointment with the dealer. (Went 11/19/2020)
After 2 hours they said they Road Force Balanced all four tires and they said that the two rear were excessively out of balance. You know... the same two I just had re-checked and re-balanced. (Ummmm)
Mechanic never took it for test drive. They told me to take it and see if it's good.
It seemed a little better but I still feel something. It's hard to explain and it's NOT constant.

Mostly notice around 35/40ish and definitely between 60 and 70. Comes and goes but doesn't feel normal.
I also don't feel it in the wheel. It's the truck doing this wobble. I can't tell if it's worse or not when I accelerate or get off the gas pedal. Shrug.

So....I call the dealer back and speak with the service manager. I'm very polite and not nasty at all. I explain that I'd prefer we not just take pot shots at what might be causing this issue and really have them identify the problem and fix it once and for all. He makes an appointment with me for November 30th to come pick up a loaner so they can keep the truck and figure things out.

I'm frustrated to say the least. Also getting shit from my wife because she is concerned I bought a vehicle that has problems.
Here's to hoping that my truck gets fixed this next go around. Three times (with the dealer) is the charm right?

Fred

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just got a call from the dealer. They are telling me that this is MDS causing the vibration and that "it is a characteristic of the vehicle." He added, "we have a similarly equipped truck on the lot and drove it and see the same vibration."

This can't be possible. I mean, it's a pretty solid vibration between 58 and 65 for sure. Impossible not to notice. How can they just say it's normal?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just opened a case with Ram Customer Service. The rep told me to go to a different dealer to get a second opinion. When I get it there for me to call and and advise that I am now at the second dealership and they will escalate the case. Waiting to hear back from the service manager at my dealer.

He goes on and on about how this is a MDS characteristic and there is nothing they can do about it. He also said that because they can see the same characteristic on a matched make/model vehicle that there is not much more he can do. I then asked him how the vibration could be an MDS issue if I disabled MDS. The sad part is both the service manager and the mechanic didn't know how the manual shift buttons worked. I had to explain to them that just because I am using the buttons doesn't mean I manually shift every gear. I can still downshift automatically if I hit the gas and the vehicle still shifts just not past what I set it at. Anyway, spoke with their "master technician" who is now waiting for me to go down and drive the truck with him. More to come.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Went down. Drove my truck with the mechanic. Turned off MDS. Hit 60 to 64 and noticed wobble. Mechanic acknowledged it. Agreed it wasn't MDS. Went back to the dealer and took the truck they had on the lot. Went for same ride. At same speed truck was MUCH better and did not wobble. Mechanic acknowledged it. Sent home with the loaner. Waiting to get an update from them tomorrow.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have that same problem very annoying
Did you ever find the problem?
sorry I should’ve updated everyone. Yes I did find the problem. Their wheel balancer was out of alignment so it was reporting incorrectly. They had to have a technician come and realign the machine. Once that was done and they did all four tires they corrected the problem with the balance and the vibration went away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts