DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I am the proud new owner of a 2014 Ram 1500, and loving it. I am curoius about one thing though. The milage rating is supposed to be 15/22, with an average of 17mpg. After going through 2 tanks so far my gauges are saying I average about 11.9mpg. I am usually about half city driving, and half freeway. Even if I was all city, wouldn't I expect 15mpg? Can somebody explain what is happening, and how I can improve it? Or if there may be an issue?

Thanks everybody, and very happy and excited to be a part of the group.

·
Registered
368 Posts
You are not going to get the best average right away, it takes a lot more than 2 tanks to get the engine settled in. Plus never trust the computer gauges, always hand calculate.

Another thing is the ratings for any vehicle are always off. They base them off 1 certain vehicle with certain engine size and specs and in perfect driving conditions from 1 geological area, not everywhere like us consumers drive them.

·
Registered
15,651 Posts
have to consider that you are using ethanol and winter fuel blend. ny trucks mpg has been the same since i brought it home. picked it up new with 3 miles on the odo.

·
Registered
28 Posts
WOW.. thats low. My avg is 19mpg but i do alot of hwy but i also run it fairly hard.

The lowest in a tank was 15.8 but i was towing my 2 jetski's.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
You need to break it in more, your mileage should go up a bit once you have some miles on her.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I have about 5,000 miles on mine and my averages are:

City: 14mpg
Highway: 19mpg
Mix: 16mpg

It also depends on how hard you ride her. If you have a heavy foot you're going to see less mpg.

·
Banned
5,858 Posts
All of the above responses are right on. You need to break the engine in, consider city/highway miles, towing a trailer, and that rotten butane-infused winter gas crap they subject us to to that huntergreen mentioned.

·
Registered
223 Posts
my 3.6 didn't really jump up in mileage until I went over 15000 miles.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Noting your from LA, the traffic around there is like no where else. You could be going 65 mph and come to a dead stop. The truck has less than 600 miles on the clock and your breaking in a new motor. In time the MPG will rise, but if driven under those condition, it will be hard pressed to get 15 city/22 highway/17 overall. The mpg will get better in time!

·
Registered
74 Posts
what gearing do you have? City driving will likely kill your MPG - especially if you see 3-4K+ RPM often (punch it). Every time I accelerate or go up a hill the computer is in the single digits = can't watch that too much for sanity reasons.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
I average 16. The only way you will get real good mileage is to baby her. I drive mine and DON'T really care what mileage it says I'm getting. I like to be first off the stop lights.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts