DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 01 1500 with the 5.2 and 115k . I slowly been doing work on it getting everything straight. I recently changed the plug wires, dis cap and rotor and changed the oil/filter. since ding this i have been getting a misfire on cylinder 8 but only under load. I hear a ticking when it does misfire, in the process of trying to fix it i have changed the distributor pickup coil, re purchased and installed another cap and rotor, changed the #8 plug wire and swapped the plug with one that wasn't misfiring and changed the fuel rail and fuel injectors and still have the same issue of misfire on 8 when under load with a short clicking when misfire occurs. Anyone got some advise? am getting frustrated with this, never had a misfire i couldn't fix before. I dont have a tool to test for compression. Is there somthing i am missing?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I had some issues of that when I had my 01 2500 with 5.9. I talked to the mechanic at the dealership(knew him very well) and he told me about a tsb where the plug wires cannot run in parallel to each other but had to be crossed at 90 degrees to eliminate the crossfire. I think it had something to do with parallel running wires had less resistance to cross bleeding as to being 90 degrees crossed . I did the re route and it did seem to fix the issue. The other thought I would have is possible valve train issues ...ie: bad rocker arm, weak or broken valve spring etc. Hope it isn't this and it is something simple.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well. turns out was something wit the spark plugs, weird only cus the plugs looked good and i had pulled the misfiring plug and swapped it with one that wasn't misfiring and the misfire didn't move so i assumed they where fine. figuring i was about to get into the valve train i went ahead and changed the plugs just to see and the misfire is gone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts