DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you really think you need it...?
Yes the Hemi has a lot of power unfortunately with that comes some blow by, most N/A engines don't need one but the Hemi seems to put a lot of oil through the intake about a can full every 3,000 miles. My 98 F150 had the same problem and i didn't have a catch can on it, went to pull the intake off and it was nasty with oil residue and gunk. I don't want the same thing to happen with my new truck. Now when you ask do I need it, No I don't the truck will run fine for years to come, but I wanted so that Im not putting oil on my valves and intake and I can keep the full power and potential for those years if that makes sense. It's like asking do you need to run a fuel system cleaner through your truck every no and then.... no you don't but it helps from losing power later on. Hell you really wouldn't need to change your spark plugs or fuel filter or air filter for years but if you want to keep it in top running order you should at least once a year or so.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
good question Rambunkshuss i dont know much about them you have one?
Yeah i`ve tried them on past hemi`s, found i didnt really need them. Theres alot of video`s that have debunked them as not necessary for an everyday driver. Race engines benefit from them, normal engines, not as useful. But if it makes people feel better adding them... its all good then. I`ve found i`m not a fan of them anymore... no benefits for me, other than one more thing to deal with. One person will tell you one thing, another person will tell you something totally different, about oil catchers. The hemi`s i ran them on, only had barely a 1/2 teaspoons worth of oil in it at every oil change. But then again, i dont rev the shit out of my engines, or work them hard, which would create more than normal blow-by if your pounding on it all the time. To each their own, buy one if you think you really need it.

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Yes the Hemi has a lot of power unfortunately with that comes some blow by, most N/A engines don't need one but the Hemi seems to put a lot of oil through the intake about a can full every 3,000 miles. My 98 F150 had the same problem and i didn't have a catch can on it, went to pull the intake off and it was nasty with oil residue and gunk. I don't want the same thing to happen with my new truck. Now when you ask do I need it, No I don't the truck will run fine for years to come, but I wanted so that Im not putting oil on my valves and intake and I can keep the full power and potential for those years if that makes sense. It's like asking do you need to run a fuel system cleaner through your truck every no and then.... no you don't but it helps from losing power later on. Hell you really wouldn't need to change your spark plugs or fuel filter or air filter for years but if you want to keep it in top running order you should at least once a year or so.
I`m not pizzin in your cereal bowl my friend,
but if you`re filling that large can at every 3,000 miles, you`ve got problems.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
That's a good looking can, does it mount to the radiator support?

FI engines really need them to keep turbo impellers and screws from fouling; NA engines don't but it doesn't hurt. The Hellcat has an integrated air/oil separator, which is what a catch can is.

It doesn't catch everything, and its not necessary, but is certainly doesn't hurt

1 - 9 of 9 Posts