DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made a mistake when buying my Ram I bought a 4.7 motor and not a 5.7. I was thinking about trading in my truck because gas prices and other reasons. 4.7 trucks are worthless now I have had my truck for about a year and half now and The dealer I went to would barely offer me 22k for it I bought it for right at 30k. So it has dropped 8k in value. and I only have a little over 11k miles on it. I guess I am going to shop around a little while longer. Has anyone else encountered this problem?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Can't go wrong with a HEMI, are you going trade your truck in for a HEMI or a MPG wonder? As far as it goes for the trade-in value of your truck, if you want to get a higher price for it you have to try to sell it your self. Right now with the rising gas prizes, combined with the dealer incentives and discounts for Trucks, the price for used trucks has to be low to be interesting to buy instead of a new truck. This all results in a lower trade-in price of your truck, ohw and in the first 3-years a car/truck will depreciate the most. Especially the first year, it sucks but it is true.... just my two cents. Good luck with the sale of your truck, hope you get a great deal with it

·
Registered
84 Posts
Be happy, after owning the truck 9 months, with 13,000kms on it, 5.7 quad cab slt with extra options, a dealer offered me 24k cdn. I still owe a lot more then that! Awesome resale value. **** it. Keep it and spend money on it!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just bought a 2011 4.7 SLT for $21,000 with 13,000 miles. This is the second 4.7 I've owned in the 1500. I passed on the Hemi as I have two Hemi R/T Challengers. IMO the 4.7 is a pretty decent engine, plus I prefer the 17" wheels, smoother ride. I say enjoy your 4.7 you are not missing much with the Hemi. My SLT is quiet, smooth, plus I can do the E85 fuel.

·
Registered
310 Posts
4.7 trucks are worthless?? hmm I LOVE MINE.. it gets me 16 mpg around tow and 18 mpg when towing my pop up at 70 on the highway.. my father-in-law has a 09 hemi crew and he gets 13 around town and only got 15 towing my pop up on the last trip he used it on. Ill stick with my 4.7

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,364 Posts
Sounds about right for first year drop. I hate to say it but you lost that $8K as soon as you drove it off the lot.
That's my thought, too, sucks but it's true. BTW SpineyNorman, I see this is your first post, be sure to stop by the Newbie Checkin, introduce yourself to everyone and get your official Ram Z welcome! :smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
262 Posts
I just bought a 2011 4.7 SLT for $21,000 with 13,000 miles. This is the second 4.7 I've owned in the 1500. I passed on the Hemi as I have two Hemi R/T Challengers. IMO the 4.7 is a pretty decent engine, plus I prefer the 17" wheels, smoother ride. I say enjoy your 4.7 you are not missing much with the Hemi. My SLT is quiet, smooth, plus I can do the E85 fuel.
I disagree with this thought! lol

I own a Charger R/T as well with the HEMI and I can tell you that you are missing a TON not having the HEMI in the RAM. I owned a 4.7 Reg cab w/ 3.55's and my HEMI QC with 3.92's just blows it away hands down. The 4.7 does "ok" in a reg cab but I test drove the 4.7 in the QC and it was a dog.

·
Registered
15,700 Posts
first as everyone else has said, you are going to loose your shorts on a trade or selling privately. put in some taller gears and enjoy the 4.7. if my numbers are right, the 4.7 is 330 hp, and the original hemi was 345 hp.

·
Registered
262 Posts
first as everyone else has said, you are going to loose your shorts on a trade or selling privately. put in some taller gears and enjoy the 4.7. if my numbers are right, the 4.7 is 330 hp, and the original hemi was 345 hp.
The new VVT HEMI is 390 hp......

And for the record the older HEMI's will walk the new 4.7, even at 345 HP, you'll need more than taller gears! lol

There is a reason RAM is getting rid of the 4.7......

·
Registered
419 Posts
Sounds like a case of classic hemi envy. In the Challenger world if you have a V6 you want a hemi, if you have a hemi, you want a SRT 6.1, if you have a 6.1 you want the 392. I've owned a 07 Ram 1500 Hemi and all it did was suck the gas. My 2011 4.7 has 80 more HP than my 05 4.7, I don't miss the hemi in my ram for what I use it for. If I wanted a hot rod looking truck I would have bought a hemi sport, but I have two Challenger R/T's so My truck is driven like a truck. In reality theres nothing bad about the 4.7 or the hemi. Life is short get what you want.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I wouldnt change trucks based on fuel mileage. My experience has shown all else being equal the Hemi is about 5% better on the highway (If you can keep it in MDS) but about 10% worse around town unless you have a very light foot.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts