DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Coming up on first Oil change on 2011 RAM with 18k bought in January, anyone else use mobil 1 extended (gold bottle) oil 5/20 ? what kind of miles are you going between changes, Im thinking every 8k on this? what about you guys? Thanks!

·
Registered
15,703 Posts
7500 mile oci is what the manual states on dino oil, so you should be good. that being said, some have posted m1 makes for a noisy engine, "hemi tick", i have been using penzoil ultra 5-20, and so far no hemi tick. valvoline syn is also known on the forum to quite the engine down.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Mobile One dino oil is what the dealerships were using when i bought my Ram
Then the contract went to Valvoline
Now Shell oil has the contract & the dealers use Pennzoil dino oil in the service bays

I didn't like changing brands, so i switched to Mobile One Synthetic when they told me about the switch to Pennzoil

I now change oil & filter at 5,000 miles, just my preference

·
Registered
698 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic in my '12 and have used it for many years in every vehicle I've owned...street, off road, garden tractor, etc. I haven't had any unusual ticking or such as mentioned occasionally here with my Ram. I wonder if our locations and climate differences have any impact? Regardless, I've not had any issues running Mobil 1 for years and years. Now, I'm not one to say that Mobil 1 is the only oil one should run...not by a long shot. There are quite a few oils out there worthy of a good, quality stamp of approval.

·
Registered
868 Posts
Just remember to get a long life filter and you should be fine.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I've had no troubles running Mobil 1 synthetic either. I had always preferred to use Castrol, but the Mobil 1 is cheaper at Wally World, so that is what I've used for the past few yrs.

I've been using the Mobil 1 filters too, though this last time I went with a Bosche, and I'm not real happy with it. I change every 5K (it's easier to know when it's due)

Exco

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I've used mobil 1 extended performance for the past several years in our vehicles, recently switched to amsoil as I get it cheaper now. It's a good oil, depending on application it will last up to 15k miles. In my ram it looked good until about 7,500 and I changed it shortly after that. In our 4 cyl car it looked good at 12k miles and I changed it shortly after that. Make sure to use a good (extended life) filter, like the mobil 1 ext perf filter.

Oil life depends on many things, not just mileage alone. Comparing the truck to the car, the oil wore out faster in the truck because it was exposed to more heat, more rough driving, etc...

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
Mobil 1 Synthetic here in all my cars, even my 500+hp Lightning. In the Ram it depends on duty cycle as to how often I change it.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I've always run?M1 in my GTO and my previous Hemi's. I did try Valvoline Syn for a bit but didn't notice any difference in hemi tick(lifter chatter) on my '05.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
M1 all the way, unless the local Firestone is running a deal, then the Ram gets Kendall Titanium.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts