DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey this is my first post here. So i got a 81 dodge d150 with the 318 in it. it runs pretty good but there is a wierd knock coming from the bottom end of the engine. it almost sounds like its coming from the very front. i highly doubt this noise is coming from the inside of the crank case. i took all belts off and it still made that noise. checked to see the crank belt pulley was tight and it was. any ideas? could it be the harmonic balancer? it also quiets down when its in drive. mainly does it when in park

thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
Sounds like rod knock. Bearing clearances have opened up. Crutch with heavier oil, maybe some motor honey til you can rebuild.

·
Banned
7,866 Posts
I'd pick up an oil filter, oil, and a gasket. takes about an hour to swap 'em all out. Once you get the pan down (pull the starter) take a small hammer and tap the rod and main bearings. If you find one that pings that's the bad one. If there's looseness in it it'll have a hollower sound and easily identifiable.

You can pick up the bearing and replace just the one before it spins and scores the crank. If I remember correctly they're about 6 dollars each. Torque it back down to specks and you can usually get a lot more time if not years out of it.

I'd also suggest getting a Melling high volume oil pump (75.00 tops).

I've had to do it many times. On one vehicle the bearing spun and I replaced it with a .10 over bearing and had to change it about every 10k when it would start to make a little noise.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts