DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im checking my mopar online and i saw this offer. $115 for 2yrs or 4 oil change. This looks cheap!
Im about to prefer and do it myself but looks like this is good deal.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
Look at the fine print to see what parts are used. Only full synthetic for me, no Dino or blend which is very cheap for them.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Works out to less than 30 per change. However, make sure the tax, disposal fee, environment fee, shop fee, etc are included as those add up.
Also consider the fact that you will most likely have oil all over the frame, steering box, engine, etc as the lowest paid techs do the oil changes. I had my first change done at a dealer and it was like that. They did not even rotate the tires like I had requested. In the end they did me right, but it should have been right the first time.

Not sure what trim level you have but check to see if you may have got the 2 free years of 'Ram Care' maintenance which include 4 oil changes and tire rotations. Big Horn and above got them in 2017.

·
Registered
665 Posts
They had he same thing here. The local RAM dealer.

$100 for up to 5 quarts.
$120 for ones like the Hemi that require more.

Regular oil, synthetic extra.

Its actually a Mopar Plan. My paperwork said OCSD24N -SECOPLOF.

Furthermore, the plan states it pay up to $50 on each oil change. Any excess must be paid by the customer...

Read the fine print.

Im checking my mopar online and i saw this offer. $115 for 2yrs or 4 oil change. This looks cheap!
Im about to prefer and do it myself but looks like this is good deal.

·
Registered
665 Posts
A local RAM dealer here told me that 16 MY was the last year that included the RAMCARE package. If one was included on a 17 RAM, it was most likely included as a part of the deal (included). I know the doc fee for this dealer went up $100, so it was most likely to help defray the cost in keeping this package with the deal. It was marketed as "free 2 year maintenance".

Not sure what trim level you have but check to see if you may have got the 2 free years of 'Ram Care' maintenance which include 4 oil changes and tire rotations. Big Horn and above got them in 2017.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No more free 2 yrs RAM care folks. I had this free 2 yrs on my JK 2017 but not on the rebel.

Anyway, looking the fine print that amount of money i mentioned was not synthetic and only 5quarts. We need 7!

Ill do it myself and it will cost cheaper. Walmart is way to go lol

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
LOL... sorry, but i just get a kick out of all these oil change deals ya`ll think your getting.
What your getting is basic low quality dino oil, oil filter, and some dumbass monkey makin a mess of things doing it.
And the dumbass dealer monkey doing the job, i guarantee they aren`t torquing the oil drain plug to proper spec either.
Correct me if i`m wrong, but 25 ftlbs of torque is all thats needed on the oil pan drain plug.
Watch them do your oil change, i bet you wont see a torque wrench used on the oil pan drain plug to re-tighten it.
Drain plugs can and do strip very easily... pay close attention to who`s working on your vehicles.

I pay $4.50 per qt x 7 qts = $31.50 for pennzoil 5w20 synthetic at walmart. Change my own oil. Properly torqued drain plug. No oil dripping/running on the steering rack or frame, ALWAYS cleaned up when done. No dealer will do the job better than me, so i dont let them touch my truck for regular service work that i can do at home. What do i get out of all this... satisfaction and knowing the job was done right, the first time. (as well as save on UN-NEEDED labor costs) Why anyone would want some dumbass touching their vehicle is beyond me. It would be alot different if they knew what they were doing. Yeah yeah, i know, most people have the perfect mechanic that they trust. So do i... ME!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
LOL... sorry, but i just get a kick out of all these oil change deals ya`ll think your getting.
What your getting is basic low quality dino oil, oil filter, and some dumbass monkey makin a mess of things doing it.
And the dumbass dealer monkey doing the job, i guarantee they aren`t torquing the oil drain plug to proper spec either.
Correct me if i`m wrong, but 25 ftlbs of torque is all thats needed on the oil pan drain plug.
Watch them do your oil change, i bet you wont see a torque wrench used on the oil pan drain plug to re-tighten it.
Drain plugs can and do strip very easily... pay close attention to who`s working on your vehicles.

I pay $4.50 per qt x 7 qts = $31.50 for pennzoil 5w20 synthetic at walmart. Change my own oil. Properly torqued drain plug. No oil dripping/running on the steering rack or frame, ALWAYS cleaned up when done. No dealer will do the job better than me, so i dont let them touch my truck for regular service work that i can do at home. What do i get out of all this... satisfaction and knowing the job was done right, the first time. (as well as save on UN-NEEDED labor costs) Why anyone would want some dumbass touching their vehicle is beyond me. It would be alot different if they knew what they were doing. Yeah yeah, i know, most people have the perfect mechanic that they trust. So do i... ME!

While I get a kick out of someone telling me what I get.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i checked the oil filter location and why on earth it was there lol.
looks like i will use ziplock trick!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
I use the walmart bag that my oil came in... same trick, different package...lol. I also lay a plastic bag over the area just below the filter... that way the oil that drips from the engine block will be alot easier to clean up.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Dad's been getting his oil changed with these 4 pack oil change deals from Mopar since he got his Ram in 2009. Every 5000 miles and zero issues with the truck.

Its a good deal, you can't change it yourself for that cheap

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
When i had my 2009 Ram 5.7l
I bought 3 gallons of Mobile One each time i went to Walmart to get motor oil
Then i went to O'Reilys for 2 WIX oil filters for about $14

I took it to the dealership & they charged me $19 Labor & Disposal Fees

Sure i paid $19 that i didn't have to, but i am 75 years old & getting lazy

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
On my 2015 Pentastar I got the oil package. I usually doo not get any type packages from dealers but this was hard to pass up. 4 100% Synthetic Oil and 4 tire rotations 211$= tax if I remember right so may have been 225$, SO A good deal to me :) NOW I will be getting oil changed again soon and see what the new package cost is as I already had last change done .

·
Registered
705 Posts
On my 2015 Pentastar I got the oil package. I usually doo not get any type packages from dealers but this was hard to pass up. 4 100% Synthetic Oil and 4 tire rotations 211$= tax if I remember right so may have been 225$, SO A good deal to me :) NOW I will be getting oil changed again soon and see what the new package cost is as I already had last change done .
That's a good deal. My 14 Hemi is $83 including tax and fees at the dealer. I average about 1 1/2 changes per year so that's about $120/yr. To me, that's a pretty good insurance policy as they check about everything on the truck and if they screw it up, they'll be there when I come back.

At 75/yo that also leaves me more time for Golf and building hotrods in my polebarn. It hasn't been inconvenient lately because they've been doing recalls during each visit.

·
Registered
2015 RAM 1500 SLT 4x4
801 Posts
That's a good deal. My 14 Hemi is $83 including tax and fees at the dealer. I average about 1 1/2 changes per year so that's about $120/yr. To me, that's a pretty good insurance policy as they check about everything on the truck and if they screw it up, they'll be there when I come back.

At 75/yo that also leaves me more time for Golf and building hotrods in my polebarn. It hasn't been inconvenient lately because they've been doing recalls during each visit.
Bob I thought it was a good deal. My Pentastar takes 6 qt. oil if I remember right! And at 65 I DO NOT work on my RAM or Car. They go to dealer or a mechanic friend ! I want more time goofing off lol..

·
Registered
45 Posts
I personally don't use the bag trick, I grab a small flat rate box from the post office ( they're free and I am there alot) Trim it and place angled towards the oil catch pan works like a charm.

I also run a larger mobil1 filter instead of the m1-113a I use the m1-210a whether or not it is needed or helps in anyway I'm not sure, but it was the same price and as the smaller one and makes me feel better having more surface area. :gy:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
just done, total cost $35. pennzoil platinum full synthetic 7qt and oem mopar oil filter.

that oil filter is such a pain in the neck!

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
Dad's been getting his oil changed with these 4 pack oil change deals from Mopar since he got his Ram in 2009. Every 5000 miles and zero issues with the truck.

Its a good deal, you can't change it yourself for that cheap
Makes me wonder what oil they`re putting in his truck to sell a job that cheap. I guess if it works for him, go for it!
I`ll stick with pennzoil synthetic & mobil1 oil filter... i know what i`m getting when i buy it.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
The one time so far ive had my oil changed at the dealer, the service write up showed part number and quantity used of the oil. The Mopar part number traced back to Pennzoil yellow bottle (dino oil) which was correct.

I have a 4 pack of semi-synth changes (for free), Im curious if the part number will trace back to Pennzoil Gold or something else.

Who is to know, though, that they dont always just put the Mopar part number and use whatever is in the drum....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts