DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm looking to buy an intake for my 2011 Ram R/T. I wanna go with the Mopar Intake, its just incredibly expensive! I called my dealership, and they can sell it to me for $400, and $130 to install it.

My question is, can I buy it somewhere else for cheaper? And, how difficult is the installation, should I do it myself? Also, what kind of performance gains can I expect? Any MPG gain? Thanks!

E

·
0 Posts
A lot of the gains you get will depend on your driving style, ambient conditions, etc... to be really effective, a CAI should be followed by an exhaust. On it's own, maybe 10 - 12 HP...maybe.

A couple of things you notice after it is on:

1. Your intake noise will increase.

2. Your throttle response will improve.

You may also notice a change in your exhaust tone.

There are MOPAR parts sellers on eBay (quite a few of them are dealers) and we have MOPARPartsOnline here as well. You should get in touch with them.

Installation is easy and you can do it with simple hand tools. I'd save the money the dealer will charge ya.

My truck benefited from an intake, exhaust and programmer, netting me about 4+ MPG highway, 3+ combined.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well that all sounds really good, thank you! I checked Moparpartsonline.com and they're quite a bit more expensive than the guys on eBay. I think I'm just gonna buy one off eBay and install it myself. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
218 Posts
So I'm looking to buy an intake for my 2011 Ram R/T. I wanna go with the Mopar Intake, its just incredibly expensive! I called my dealership, and they can sell it to me for $400, and $130 to install it.

My question is, can I buy it somewhere else for cheaper? And, how difficult is the installation, should I do it myself? Also, what kind of performance gains can I expect? Any MPG gain? Thanks!
The installation isn't difficult. The hardest part is getting the fender liner out, and that's because of those plastic type push rivet's. There sort of indented up into the fender liner. I managed to cut the head's off them. Then replaced them with some new one's. Be aware that the anti-lock brake electrical connection is connected to the fender liner with one of those PIA plastic rivet's. Also as I recall there were 2 screw's that were attached through the fender liner to the bottom of the air box that's not mentioned in the instruction's. Once the fender liner is out the rest of the install is a piece of cake. Hope this help's. Good Luck.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Self Install FTW!

If you have any questions on the install, holler here or send some PMs - I would be glad to help out as I am sure most of the folks here would as well - this site has a fantastic community, for sure.
I put the Mopar intake on my 2011, and it was really pretty straight forward - you'll love it, and take some pride in busting your own knuckles on the install :)

If you don't want to cut the fender fasteners, I used an old drum brake spring tool to pop under the heads of the plastic fasteners and lever them out. They did not come apart and I could re-use them. I think any trim removal tool might get into the recesses, and make it easy.
Keep an eye out for the other screws that hold the fender cover in that are not indicated in the instructions. It'll be obvious, but just sayin - take your time. Oh, and if you are new to wrenching, most of the fasteners are actually not metric for once (admittedly, my old Silverado made me sad with all the metric bits on her)

Also, I ordered my intake from moparsupercenter dot com (is that allowed?)
not sure if they are approved at the site here or not, but they were very much below most other prices I had come across, and had it in stock the day I placed the order.

Have Fun!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I'm sure with all the helpful advice on these wonderful forums, I think I can install it myself! Now, all I need is some money...you guys wouldn't happen to know how to get that would you? Lol

·
Registered
490 Posts
Just bought mine today, it should be in tomorrow. I'll be putting it in myself, I'll let you know how it goes, I've put air intakes in before so it shouldn't be too hard.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just bought mine today, it should be in tomorrow. I'll be putting it in myself, I'll let you know how it goes, I've put air intakes in before so it shouldn't be too hard.
Where'd you buy it from?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Got it at the dealership, way over priced but whatever. My warranty will still be good so I guess I can live with the price.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts