DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a certified used Ram 2500 and was sold the maximum care warranty for around 3500 dollars. It expires at 100k miles. Truck has 13k as of when I bought a few weeks ago. With the 36k bumper to bumper warranty you get already and the factory 7yr/100k powertrain warranty already is it worth even buying? I also feel like I overpaid for the maximum care warranty......? Anybody buy this warranty? how much you pay? Any problems getting coverage etc..... Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I know I over paid for the warranty. Im actually going in tomorrow to cancel the warranty. At least get a better price. I was 3 hours into haggling with the car dealer that I didnt have any energy to deal with the financer. Decided to do some research and turns out it doesnt sound like I got any kind of a deal on this warranty. Which is why I ask is it even worth buying? I see some got a lifetime warranty and it doesnt expire after 100k miles like mine. Anything on this topic is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
sold new Chrysler's, in the mid 80-'s to early 90's. Not much into buying anything extra, but the Factory warranty. Figure it is like Life Insurance, I hope to NEVER to use it. Have had it on every one of my last 6 new car purchases but my 1999 2500HD 4x4 Dodge. I buy the 7yr - 100k maximum care, every time. Think I paid 2k for it, in sept 2014, when i bought my new truck. Think it cost about $900- $1200, when I bought the Wife's 2006 grand caravan. Biggest reason I get it is piece of mind,specially when traveling. Rental car allowance is nice bonus too. the lifetime warranty is misleading, There is a small clause that says, simply, Chrysler can refund the price of the warranty, instead of repairing your car, if they so desire. So forget any visions of a new transmission 12 yrs and 120,000 miles down the road. Also, the cost, even at dealer actual cost is prohibitive on that warranty. FYI, the time to pay closest attenion, at teh dealership, is in teh business magr or F&I gusy office. that is one huge source of dealership profits.Br\est part, unlike the salesman who first says hello, to you, in the hope you are a buyer, the business manager (F&I guy) KNOWS everyone he sees is a "buyer" , else they would not be in his office.
He is the one guy, in teh entire dealership, that bears the closest scrutiny.

Dave

·
Registered
97 Posts
I paid about $2000, if you plan to keep it, yeah get it, it covers calipers and everything. Nothing costs over $100, you get a loaner and other stuff. Even your lights are run through the BCM. Nothing cheap to fix anymore.

·
Registered
147 Posts
You paid WAY too much! :Wow1: My friend got the "Lifetime" warranty for $2200. He traded in his ford with over 300,000 miles on it. I got the 7 yr. 100,000 for $1600. Both are with aftermarket co.. Like a previous poster said. It's "life insurance" for your vehicle. :smileup:

·
Registered
237 Posts
We have a 15 2500 Outdoorsman on order with a Cummins, I've read on here that you can't get the lifetime Maxicare warranty on a Diesel? Anyone have any info on this. We are looking also. Can anyone recommend a lifetime warranty for a 2500 Cummins. The Truck won't be driven much so it will go out on time not mileage.

Thanks, not trying to hijack a thread, just adding to it. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
Don't confuse the Factory Warranty with the Extended Warranty

The Extended Warranty begins when the Factory Warranty ends

The Factory Warranty is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, it is the bumper to bumper warranty
The Factory Powertrain Warranty only covers the Basic Engine, ( nothing bolted to it ), the Transmission, & Differentials

Extended Warranties vary in the number of parts covered, nothing that is considered a wear part is covered

Some dealerships will sell you a policy that is not a Mopar product, good luck if your dealership is in say Ohio & your vehicles breaks down on the East or West Coast, or up in Canada, you won't be covered

check out the Mopar site
http://www.dodge.com/en/service_contracts/news/?section=news_and_announcements
&
http://www.dodge.com/en/service_contracts/

Certified Used plans, i have not checked this site out
http://www.certifiedpreowned.chrysler.com/options-plans.html

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Don't confuse the Factory Warranty with the Extended Warranty

The Extended Warranty begins when the Factory Warranty ends

The Factory Warranty is for 3 years or 36,000 miles, it is the bumper to bumper warranty
The Factory Powertrain Warranty only covers the Basic Engine, ( nothing bolted to it ), the Transmission, & Differentials

Extended Warranties vary in the number of parts covered, nothing that is considered a wear part is covered

Some dealerships will sell you a policy that is not a Mopar product, good luck if your dealership is in say Ohio & your vehicles breaks down on the East or West Coast, or up in Canada, you won't be covered

check out the Mopar site
http://www.dodge.com/en/service_contracts/news/?section=news_and_announcements
&
http://www.dodge.com/en/service_contracts/

Certified Used plans, i have not checked this site out
http://www.certifiedpreowned.chrysler.com/options-plans.html
Maxcare starts on the in service date of the factory warranty from what I'm reading.

'When does my coverage begin and end?
On all New or Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle plans, your coverage starts at the original warranty start date of the vehicle (the date that the vehicle was delivered to the original owner of the vehicle) and at zero miles, not upon the expiration of the New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Expiration of your New or Certified Pre-Owned Vehicle plan is based on a time and mileage factor. Actual expiration of the plan will occur when your vehicle reaches either the time or mileage limit specified in your Plan Provisions, whichever occurs first.

For example: Your vehicle's warranty start date is July 1,2009 and you currently have 10,000 miles on your vehicle. You can purchase a 5-year /60,000-mile Maximum Care plan on November 1,2009. Your plan would be in effect starting on July 1,2009 and will expire on July 1,2014 or when your vehicle has a total of 60,000 miles, whichever occurs first.'

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes. You need to be careful that you understand when warranties start and if they are true "Factory" or aftermarket.

In addition know exactly how long you have until you "have to" buy.

You also need to have a sense how long and how many miles you intend to have the truck.

- If you do not intend to have have until the wheels fall off you might not want to buy the "Lifetime" because it is not transferrable. It is for the original owner only.

-The lesser policies are transferrable (only one time I think) and that might make it easier to sell.

I don't usually have my vehicles more than 5 years but I do put a lot of miles on (20-25k per year) so I intend to buy a transferrable warranty even though the "Lifetime" is only a couple hundred bucks more. I found Lifetime for $2363 and 8yr/120K for $2127. I need the miles more than the years and I am most worried about the electronics.

http://www.chryslerwarrantys.com

What I don't know is what happens to the price if you wait to buy until right before the factory warranty expires....anyone know?

·
Registered
347 Posts
I got the 7/100 Mopar when I purchased the truck. Got a little bit of discount on it but the dealer I worked with offers to waive the $100 deductible on all warranty work done at that dealership. I don't plan on moving so it's possible I might recover a few hundred bucks with future work. But, like previously mentioned, it's like health/life insurance you hope not to use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Dodge Warranty MOPAR Lifetime

Lifetime MOPAR Warrantywhich is basically bumper to bumper. For some reason the system kept kickingthe $100 deductible and it wouldn't let me do anything but $0 Deductible, Salesgimmick maybe? They said it was probably because of all of the electronics inthe car but I think that’s hogwash. Anyway for the MOPAR Dodge LifetimeWarranty the original asking price offer was right at $5000 (inflation maybe)but I had searched all weekend prepping and found the $0 Deductible price for$4395 on Edmunds so they matched it and also bought back my old warranty at anadditional savings. This seems high but what can you do if you know you needthis warranty and can't seem to get it for any less. Sense it is a lifetimewarranty I think I will use it for my coffin and just keep making dodge pay tofix it until then.

I originally was only going tolook at the new Chargers and not buy, I had a 2011 Charger I really enjoyed buteven though it had some nice options it didn't have what the new ones do but ifyou get a really good offer on the car you want and the one you have, it’s veryhard to turn it down.

On a side note, I had the $100deductible lifetime warranty on my 2011 but because I felt it may cost me $100each time I had an issue like with my blue tooth and my cruise control issuesthat I had I didn’t want to take it in to have it looked at because I didn’twant to spend $100. This is just me, if I could have gotten the $100 deductibleI would have done it but I’m actually relieved because now I can take it in foreven the smallest little thing without the worry of a $100 price tag attachedto it. BTW, when I replaced the Battery in the car these problems went away,Gremlins I guess.

If you want peace of mind and youcan get the $100 deductible, do it, but if you’re like me and don’t want tospend another dime on it fork out the extra or it will keep you from havingthings fixed when it doesn’t affect the cars running ability.

2017 Dodge Charger SXT Premium,it has v6 and that's all I ever get but the car is fully loaded with laneassist, adaptive cruise, nav Sticker $37,085 I added window tint and blockwarmer which would make the sicker $37,495. My price $28,668 which I think isrally pretty dang good; I do not put many miles on my car (super low mileage)so I got the excellent rating in KBB on my trade-in. It was the first andlast time I look at new cars sense I bought my 2011 so unless I total the car Iwill stay off the lots from now on.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The questions you need to ask yourself are: How are the dealerships in your area? How long are going to keep the truck? In my area all the dealership service departments suck. This is who you will be dealing with. -Glen

·
Registered
226 Posts
The questions you need to ask yourself are: How are the dealerships in your area? How long are going to keep the truck? In my area all the dealership service departments suck. This is who you will be dealing with. -Glen
So based off that you would or wouldn't get the extended warranty? I'm getting closer to my standard warranty expiring, around 4 months left, and only have 27k miles. Planning to keep my truck a bit longer but might trade for a different truck or regular cab RT. Would you get it if say you kept the truck another year or so?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I purchased the Maxcare Lifetime Warranty on my used 2015. Was mostly worried because when I bought my used 2001 back in 2007 I had to fork out $1k on A/C issues one week after buying it. So far I've been lucky and haven't had to do anything other than replace a tail light bulb and oil changes in the year I've owned it, but its a relief having it when things do start going out.

·
Registered
28 Posts
fyi I have been looking at this in detail for my 2015 PW.

Have narrowed it down to the Lifetime or the 8 yr/125K. Max Care for both.

The lifetime is about $450 more. At first it seems like a better deal, but u need to read the fine print:

1 - It is NOT transferable. If you are going to sell the vehicle having an existing warranty (even if its only for a short time) is definitely a plus.

2- The car rental, roadside assistance, & I think towing ends at 7 yrs/100K for the lifetime.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I was looking at going GMC until a few people I work with told me about the maxcare. After looking into it and talking with a friend that is in sales, I decided to go ram just because of the warranty. 1 guy never really has any issues with his '11, the other guy has an '09 and said he has had the front end rebuilt a few times, and had trans issues repaired with no issues. I have the 8.4 nav and 2 cameras, and the entire electrical system (according to pamphlet and online info) is covered, so I just thought about how much I could spend on repairing any drive train parts, or electrical issues and knew that the maxcare was the way to go. I paid just over 3k for it.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I was looking at going GMC until a few people I work with told me about the maxcare. After looking into it and talking with a friend that is in sales, I decided to go ram just because of the warranty. 1 guy never really has any issues with his '11, the other guy has an '09 and said he has had the front end rebuilt a few times, and had trans issues repaired with no issues. I have the 8.4 nav and 2 cameras, and the entire electrical system (according to pamphlet and online info) is covered, so I just thought about how much I could spend on repairing any drive train parts, or electrical issues and knew that the maxcare was the way to go. I paid just over 3k for it.
I got lifetime max are in my new purchase as well. But I?m really debating about canceling it in fear of voiding it any way with programmer. Any input on my decision? By the way I paid 3500 for it

·
Registered
126 Posts
Ok guys and gals. I?ve been on the fence about this lifetime maxcare due to worry about voiding after tune.. been at dealer 3 days in a row trying to get answers and to talk to my financing guy. And service. I was told that the warranty is solid and to do what ever I wanted with the truck modify wise as long as I leave cats on it and DO NOT screw with internals all will be covered programmer or not. Things that will be voided upon pcm swap. It will void coverage on actual pcm and the engine is a 50/50 depending on what service chooses. But trans and all else will still be covered, so long story short I?m keeping warranty specifically for trans, AC, and electrical. Praying engine will still be covered but I?m good knowing that my trans will be as long as it remains untouched.

·
Registered
126 Posts
So if you get the Diablo intune and also another ECU there will be no issues with Voiding Warranty. Hemifever Tuning.
It?s a grey area. All depends on how far they look and how they choose to treat you. I was just told as long as it?s in stock form before put in shop you should be good. The only red flag is going to be the odometer on pcm and your cluster will be different

1 - 20 of 24 Posts