DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have the 3yr/36k mile service warranty (free when purchased the truck) and the last 2x when the truck was brought in for its oil change service, the oil filter was dripping oil 2k miles into the oil change.

Service done at local Dodge service shop.

Talked to the tech performing the services, says he's seen this on the RAM's and they typically torque it down a little more on the 5.7l motors.

I have a 2005 Magnum R/T with the same 5.7l motor and never an issue.

Has anyone with the 5.7 motor on their RAM had leaky oil filters? Assuming the leak is from the gasket side and not bad filters.

Truck now has 19.8k miles on it.

Thanks,
Andrew

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
Currently have 40,000 on my Hemi and have never had that leaky oil filter issue.

Granted I use Royal Purple filters and do my own changes but is sounds like a double gasket maybe???

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Double gasket would be my first guess also

My '09 doesn't drip a drop, but i use a quality oil filter, WIX
Who makes the MOPAR filter is a toss up, might even be a Fram for all anyone knows
we do know that the oil at the dealership is a Shell oil product, PENNZOIL

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
I've had it happen once....but I think it was due to the kid not getting it tight enough

·
Registered
471 Posts
we had a cherokee once that when i changed oil the old filter gasket was still in place. upon starting to check for leaks oil shot out of filter area. i think if a double gasket was an issue your engine would have no oil shortly after starting it. maybe a piece of the old filter making it not sit right or maybe where it sits isnt perfectly flat? just speaking on my past experiences with a double gasket. good luck

·
Registered
218 Posts
Do my own oil changes and have used the Mopar filter twice, no problems with them. All the other changes I've used K & N or Mobil 1 Filters. Happy with all three.:smileup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I've never had any problems with the Mopar filters leaking. Must have been a mistake make during installation. After the first oil change, I change the oil myself, using a Motorcraft FL-820S filter, which is a cross-fit for the 5.7L Hemi.

Darin

·
Registered
3,582 Posts
i had this problem once but it went back to the dealership and they change the filter and didnt had any other problem after

so maybe it was a bad filter or a bad mecanic guy

·
Registered
286 Posts
I doubt it was a faulty filter. Remember who is doing the oil changes at the dealerships. Mostly kids out of high school or low man on totem pole and I'm sure their hand tight is a lot different than most of us on this forum. I very rarely have oil changes done anywhere but my driveway, but on the couple of rare occasions where I have had to take it to dealership something was always loose. Either filter itself or drain plug.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The oil change area is the express oil change area and all customers can watch the entire process. The tech is an older gentleman (lower 50's).
I will continue to monitor the oil change for any further leaks (just had it changed last week).
Yes, I do all my oil changes on all my cars. Still doing it on my 2005 Magnum.
The RAM has a 3 yr free scheduled services which is why I am having the dealer do them.
My Magnum had the same 3 yr scheduled service and had absolutely no issues.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions

Andrew

·
Registered
297 Posts
I've seen filters leak from over tightening twice now. I work at a Firestone and the one guy we had working there always put his filters back on with the same tool he used to remove it. Twice he has had a nice steady flow of oil through the parking lot. For some reason I am always the guy who fixes screw ups. Upon checking it out the filters were on super tight and I all but had to crush it to remove it. Coincidentally the one was actually on a 3rd gen Hemi, the other on an F150. The only theory I can offer on this is the gasket gets so squished it pushes out slightly or something.

·
Registered
142 Posts
It's also common for people to overlook cleaning the mounting surface where the filter goes. Applying a some clean oil to the gasket prior to installing the filter helps too. I see a lot of rookie mistakes at the dealership where I work. Just because the guy at the quick-lube is in his 50's doesn't mean he gives a damn.....

·
Registered
312 Posts
Double gasket would be my first guess also

My '09 doesn't drip a drop, but i use a quality oil filter, WIX
Who makes the MOPAR filter is a toss up, might even be a Fram for all anyone knows
we do know that the oil at the dealership is a Shell oil product, PENNZOIL
All the ones Ive looked at appear to be built by Purolator and have a similar thread end bypass as the FL820S Motorcraft (That also fits our trucks). However they are not the same and dont even share many parts. The base plate for instance is a completely different design.

The oil in both bulk (assuming the dealer participates in the Mopar Oil Purchase Program) and bottle form is "Shell's Premium Conventional" aka Pennzoil Yellow Bottle.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts