DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered the leveling kit from Mopar for my 14 1500. I’ve gone through the threads about tires and I’m still not sure what size to get. I’m leaning towards the 285-65-20 on the stock wheels. My tire supplier says 275s are cheaper because it’s a stock size not a custom size whatever that means
So any opinions on this and comment will be greatly appreciated. I’m liking the look of the bfg all terrains and the terrra grappler g2. Unsure about letters out on the bfg. Lemme know what ya think

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Wise choice on the level kit. If you stay stock on tire size you are essentially getting a level for no reason. If you do 275 65 20 instead of 275 60 20 you'll get another inch of height and you can get them in "E" if that is important. And for God's sake, no white letters. You're from Long Island not Appalachia.

·
Registered
42 Posts
If you go wider than 275's you will have paint and rust issues from debris...also will have to wash more often. my thoughts.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
So I need to know 285 or 295.and will they stick out too far where I’ll need flares
These are 285 75 17. Pretty close to 285 65 20. As you can see, on stock offset they are barely out of the wheel well. You won't need flares.

·
Registered
528 Posts
So I need to know 285 or 295.and will they stick out too far where I’ll need flares
I have 285/65R20 in the BFG, blacked out letters. They work, fit, look great imo. I think you'll be happy with 275/65R20 as well. That size would be much cheaper. I'm not sure how noticeable the looks would be. 295 sizes seems like depending on the tire and the truck some fit without a spacer, some don't. If you go with a 275 or 285 you definitely won't need one. 295s would stick out slightly but you wouldn't need flares unless you wanted them.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I just ordered the leveling kit from Mopar for my 14 1500. I’ve gone through the threads about tires and I’m still not sure what size to get. I’m leaning towards the 285-65-20 on the stock wheels. My tire supplier says 275s are cheaper because it’s a stock size not a custom size whatever that means
So any opinions on this and comment will be greatly appreciated. I’m liking the look of the bfg all terrains and the terrra grappler g2. Unsure about letters out on the bfg. Lemme know what ya think
I have the BFG and I like them and I would get another set but if you like Nitto check out the Ridge Grapplers. They seem to be very popular around here.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have it narrowed down to the 285 or 295 65 20 nittos. What are the pros and cons to each size on stock wheels. I’m thinking the 285s may be the no worry option. No rubbing etc.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
If you're going to off road then you're going to need to air down. The wider the tire on those stock rims is going to make that more difficult. There isn't much room between the UCA and the sidewall.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I have it narrowed down to the 285 or 295 65 20 nittos. What are the pros and cons to each size on stock wheels. I’m thinking the 285s may be the no worry option. No rubbing etc.
No real cons to the 285s, other than they might be narrower than what you want?

·
Registered
528 Posts
285 always works no rubbing. 295 seems to be hit and miss. You might need a small spacer with it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have BFG KO2's 35-12.50-20 on the OE 20x9 Chrome clad and NO rub and no spacers. Been that way for about 1.5 years

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
1 - 18 of 18 Posts