DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! I'm new to Rams and have thoroughly enjoyed my new '14 1500 Express Crew Cab 2wd since I've owned it. Bought it about 3 months ago and love it more everyday. So, with that being said, the time has come to start putting what I want/like on the truck. First up were side steps (the wifey's a little short and has a tough time jumping in) so, I found a set of OEM's on the ol craigslist and picked them up for under $100 :smileup:. Not being a huge chrome fan I decided i was going to spray them with rustoleum's truck bed spray. Got 3 cans at Lowe's for about $8 a pop. Cleaned the steps up with soap and water then let them dry for about an hour or so. Grabbed some scotch bright pads and scuffed them up pretty well. I didn't want any issues with this coating.
I had some old microfibers laying around so i soaked them in acetone and wiped the steps down and let dry about 10 or so minutes. Next up was figuring how i was going to hang or place the steps to spray them since i don't have a garage or shop...Soo, my trusty ratchet straps came into play. Hung them between two pillars at the house and boom! I got to spraying. I did a really light coat first to see how this stuff was going to stick to the steps just in case i needed to scuff them up more but, didn't have any issues so on to more coats i went! I did about 4 coats total on each step, plus a little touch ups here and there. The cans run out pretty fast. I got about 1 & 1/2 can per step but, i wish it could have gone a little further. Definitely wouldn't want to spray a bed with this, since multiple coats are a must. After, the final coat i let them dry for about 2 hour's or so. This seemed like enough time and they were not sticky at all.

Everything turned out great and put them on this morning. Wasn't too bad of a job for 1 person but, a second set of hands would have been nice. All in all i think this stuff will hold pretty well but, only time will tell. Hope this helps anyone wanting to use Rustoleum or put a set of Mopar side steps on their truck! Enough of me rambling, here are the pics!

Stock Steps:

My hanging set up:

Rustoleum, Scotch Brite and Acetone:

First and second coats. I moved the truck after these since the wind started to change directions.

Texture. Still wet.

Dry:

Done.

And installed!:

Enjoy!

·
Banned
811 Posts
I used that same product on my bumper, grill and bed. It's held up great!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Looks very sharp! And a great idea

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Yeah, I Plasti-Dipped mine in May and it's held up pretty good. The only issue I have is the coating has seemed to have "shrunk" away from the plastic step on the bar. I'm thinking that I may have not let them dry enough before spraying.
However, I'm thinking that I'm going to rip off the dip in the spring and do the bed liner coating that you did - if your report of it holding up well turns out to be true after a couple months. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I Plasti-Dipped mine in May and it's held up pretty good. The only issue I have is the coating has seemed to have "shrunk" away from the plastic step on the bar. I'm thinking that I may have not let them dry enough before spraying.
However, I'm thinking that I'm going to rip off the dip in the spring and do the bed liner coating that you did - if your report of it holding up well turns out to be true after a couple months. :)
I will let you know something soon!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Thanks, I appreciate that. I hate chrome and while I'd be hesitant to spray something permanent on my bumpers, I am not afraid to do the step bars. :)

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Like the way the stock steps have RAM on them.
They look great.:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
877 Posts
Nice job! Not a fan of chrome either. You probably should have removed the plastic treads and caps prior to painting... then reinstall. They will flex (expand and contract) with changing temperature and expose the metal that was not painted. You can always repaint, but it would have saved you the trouble... Nonetheless, they look great.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Like the way the stock steps have RAM on them.
They look great.:smiley_thumbs_up:
Me too! One reason why i like the stock steps.

Nice job! Not a fan of chrome either. You probably should have removed the plastic treads and caps prior to painting... then reinstall. They will flex (expand and contract) with changing temperature and expose the metal that was not painted. You can always repaint, but it would have saved you the trouble... Nonetheless, they look great.
Ah! Thanks for the information. I'm going to go ahead and do that. Save's trouble in the long run.

Do the step plates just snap on?
From my research, they should just pop off.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Hey guys here's a quick update. 95% of the rustoleum has held up. The areas around the pads have worn a little. (as noted. I didn't take them off before spraying them.) So as far as anyone wanting to do this I suggest taking the pad and caps off then spraying 3-4 layers. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
207 Posts
JUBT-
Thanks for the original post and the updates! Think I may do this when it gets a bit warmer. My wife also needs the steps so I can't get rid of them completely, but I like the spray!

I'll let you know how it goes.

-paradit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks great, I was thinking the same idea. I actually found some Rustoleum "plastidip" they call it flexidip lol at Home Depot out in Fargo.

I find the chrome finish is slippery in the winter and had fallen on my @$$ when not stepping on the pad, plus once I clean the truck and try to keep the chrome shinny the kids end up stepping on it rather than the pad lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Wow, this looks awesome. My chrome is peeling off all over these. I was thinking of media blasting and powder coat, but I may just use this stuff. I'm sure I'll still have to get all of the loose chrome plating off first.

Thanks for the great idea!!!

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Any further update on how it's holding up? Would you use the same product again?
Crappy Tire has this on sale this week...
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ez-liner-aerosol-coating-0475608p.html

Anyone have any experience with this stuff? In the past couple storms, I've really screwed the plasti-dip on the steps (and bumpers, for that matter) with hitting snow banks (the plows barely did a lane wide on my street and with a big truck, hard to not hit the corners of snow banks.)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts