DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a 99 Ram Sport with the 250HP 360 V8.I'm just beginning work on this truck and to start I want a little more HP without upgrades to the engine(for now).I hear alot about computer reprograms to get a few more ponies and just wondering if anyone has done this and what kinda power did you get.Like I said,right now I'm starting small because this is my daily ride and pulling the engine is out.Eventually I will because sometime in the future I would like to see at least 350 or more HP come outta this engine.But lets start with the computer program.Any help will be greatly appreciated.I see this type of upgrades on TRUCKS and shows like that and wondering if it can be done to my ride.Thanks...

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Find you a cheap used (make sure it's unlocked) Superchips 3815 for starters. As you upgrade more components (exhaust, cam, you actually have choices for intake manifolds) you can get SCT custom tuning. It is doable to get that much power out of it, but you will need to make some more modifications.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I got a 99 Ram Sport with the 250HP 360 V8.I'm just beginning work on this truck and to start I want a little more HP without upgrades to the engine(for now).I hear alot about computer reprograms to get a few more ponies and just wondering if anyone has done this and what kinda power did you get.Like I said,right now I'm starting small because this is my daily ride and pulling the engine is out.Eventually I will because sometime in the future I would like to see at least 350 or more HP come outta this engine.But lets start with the computer program.Any help will be greatly appreciated.I see this type of upgrades on TRUCKS and shows like that and wondering if it can be done to my ride.Thanks...

Wow! almost 1hp per cubic inch! Its a doable goal, but not without some internal engine mods.
First of all if your truck is around the 100,000 mile mark, don't plan on your motor taking the strain. Mopar engines are the toughest, but making 350 hp for a period of time will require some fresher rings and bearings.

However...all is not lost. You can expect some decent gains with a combination of bolt ons and milder mods. In addition to the earlier mentioned tuner (I would start with a SCT) items like headers, air cleaner/cai, 1.7 rocker arms, a bored throttle body and either modding your intake manifold or replacing it should net you an easy 50 - 60 hp over stock.

Changing out your stock gears is the best bang for the buck acceleration mod you can make. If you have 3:55s, swapping to a set of 3:92 or 4:10 gears will really snap your head back. All the other mods I mentioned will not feel as good as gears will.

You'll also want to protect your transmission if its an auto. A shift kit is a must, along with a new or larger than stock external cooler.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Better start saving... its going to take thousands to get that kind of reliable power.... BTW rear wheel hp of your ram is only like 200-210... dont be confused by the higher HP numbers of the engine while not counting the drivetrain loss.... tuners like the sct arent going to net you anymore than 10 hp at rear wheels in ideal conditions...(4hp is what has been shown with 93 sct tune) you can get more with a heavily modded engine and a custom tune from Sean but thats more$$ you need higher flowing heads, new cam, intake , throttlebody, injectors, header and exhaust would help, pcm/tuner, possible higher compression... I know I guy on the jeep forum that did all that except the cam and got 288 rwhp and 301 rw torque out of it... it took him over a year and lots of tuning and work to get that so its no easy task from these older designed engines...
Also you will need a heavy duty beefed up transmission.... 350hp will tear up the already weak 46re tranny quickly...(another $2500-3,000)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Wow! almost 1hp per cubic inch! Its a doable goal, but not without some internal engine mods.
First of all if your truck is around the 100,000 mile mark, don't plan on your motor taking the strain. Mopar engines are the toughest, but making 350 hp for a period of time will require some fresher rings and bearings.

However...all is not lost. You can expect some decent gains with a combination of bolt ons and milder mods. In addition to the earlier mentioned tuner (I would start with a SCT) items like headers, air cleaner/cai, 1.7 rocker arms, a bored throttle body and either modding your intake manifold or replacing it should net you an easy 50 - 60 hp over stock.

Changing out your stock gears is the best bang for the buck acceleration mod you can make. If you have 3:55s, swapping to a set of 3:92 or 4:10 gears will really snap your head back. All the other mods I mentioned will not feel as good as gears will.

You'll also want to protect your transmission if its an auto. A shift kit is a must, along with a new or larger than stock external cooler.
I have everything you mentions except the 1.7 rocker (which gain 14hp on average) and a tuner..... I have no where near 50hp over stock... there is no better all around intake...only better ones for the higher rpm range which cost you some hp and torque in the lower rpm range...
I also had no cat and dual exhaust at one point and went to a magnaflow high flow which netted me a bit of low end more ironically.

I dont mean to discourage anyone in any way as you can make some nice power ..I'm just bringing a reality check into play here...I've been trying to find more power for mine for years now and have read many many articles ,threads and dyno results on the matter trying to accomplish this...what people claim to feel and what the actual numbers show are two completely different things...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice,especially the chip. I will check into it and let ya know.I do have plans to heavily modify the engine and trans sometime in the future. But just looking for a little more pep cheap and quick.I am about to have true duels installed with noplans for a K&N cold air intake.Had one on a 87 Silverado I built and wife has one on her 06 Pathfinder.I personally don't care for them but to each their own. But I am definitely gonna look into the chip.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Superchips 3815

Find you a cheap used (make sure it's unlocked) Superchips 3815 for starters. As you upgrade more components (exhaust, cam, you actually have choices for intake manifolds) you can get SCT custom tuning. It is doable to get that much power out of it, but you will need to make some more modifications.

Just bought one off ebay unlocked for $100.Thanks for the help.I will post back some feedback when I recieve and install.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Do some lurking on Dodge Talk and Dodge Forum in the second gen sections, you will find ALOT of info, guaranteed if it's something you want to do to your truck, someone on one of those forums has done it already.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm sorry we disagree again, but I believe netting 50 hp with a combination of mods is quite doable but if you're starting with an high mileage motor, not so good.
The net hp estimate takes in claims of items like 1.7 rockers which "claim" to give you 20 hp. So a cumulative addition of mods is not possible.
The second thing is that how much of that 50 hp will you actually feel at the rear wheels on a 5000lb + truck? Not much. It would probably take 100 hp or more to make a way big difference.
Besides, you really want low end torque to launch such a heavy vehicle. Gears baby!

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I laugh when I see people who add up all their bolt-ons by what hp improvement the manufacturer claims they'll get. If I did that I'd instantly have a 400hp truck.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I feel your pain.. I worked and worked on my 97 Ram.. Mopar Performance PCM unit, Headders, Magnaflow Exhaust, Mopar Performance Cam Package, Index the plugs, so on and so forth.. never could get the old 5.2 to smoke 'em really well.. of course I left the 3.55 in.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
I feel your pain.. I worked and worked on my 97 Ram.. Mopar Performance PCM unit, Headders, Magnaflow Exhaust, Mopar Performance Cam Package, Index the plugs, so on and so forth.. never could get the old 5.2 to smoke 'em really well.. of course I left the 3.55 in.
Lol, that definitely didn't help. 318 is just a baby bore 340 (unless we go pre-1967, then it's a poly engine, a semi-hemi). Smaller bore, same stroke. The same way you can drop a 6.1 crank into a 5.7 to get a forged crank, same thing between a 340 and 318. 318's are revvers, just never really taken advantage of. You put a decent set of heads on with a good cam and intake and you can make a fun engine out of a 318.

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Evolution of the 318

A series poly head, bigger block, different head configuration (pre 1967)

LA series, redesigned based on new 273 small block, wedge head design, keeps single rocker shaft (1967-1991)

Magnum series, redesigned cyl heads (pedestal rockers, different oiling system) and block (casting changed to allow bolt in spider plate for hydraulic roller lifters), MPI, only used in trucks (1992-2001)

Plus the LA based 318 was WIDELY used as a marine engine. It also donated it's dimensions to creating the 3.9L V6.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sorry we disagree again, but I believe netting 50 hp with a combination of mods is quite doable but if you're starting with an high mileage motor, not so good.
The net hp estimate takes in claims of items like 1.7 rockers which "claim" to give you 20 hp. So a cumulative addition of mods is not possible.
The second thing is that how much of that 50 hp will you actually feel at the rear wheels on a 5000lb + truck? Not much. It would probably take 100 hp or more to make a way big difference.
Besides, you really want low end torque to launch such a heavy vehicle. Gears baby!
sure its possible.... but I wont go as far as to say the ram in question about will put out 300hp with the bolt ons mentioned above... the "250hp" stock rams only put out like 200-210hp to the rear wheels... the hp rating is supposed to be an averaged rating for that configuration and they vary from unit to unit from the factory... they are usually exaggerated...

And I have 4.56 gears....

·
Registered
53 Posts
Good choice with the Superchips! You say you want more pep for cheap... For now. I couldn't agree more with some of the other Ram fans here. Gears, Gears, Gears. Even with my 38s, my 4.56s make my truck plenty snappy. Don't get your head wrapped around numbers... Who really cares? Unless you are one of those guys that carries a baseline dyno sheet in their pocket. As long as you feel a difference that is all that matters. Gears will make you feel a difference. I tell everyone that my truck has 1,000,000 HP. Legit

·
Registered
136 Posts
I'm geusing i have around 3.55 gears how much do you guys think itd be to do gears for my truck

·
Registered
53 Posts
I got Richmond 4.56s w/ master rebuild kits front and back for just under 500. That's just for the parts. me and a friend put them in ourselves so that saved some money.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts