DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best cover to keep the bed of your 2018 Ram 1500 from getting wet? That is the question a number of truck owners are asking. Ram would tell you that their bed covers are specifically built to fit and protect the bed. Other owners weigh in.

Torque News has published an interesting piece discussing the most waterproof bed covers for new 2018 Ram 1500 vehicles.

Do you have any suggestions on the best waterproof bed covers for Ram 1500?

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
Every day that i go to a job, i have opened my BAKFlip G2 tonneau
I have the Quad Cab 6' 4" bed, so i have 4 flaps, the Crew Cab 5' 7" bed only has 3 flaps

I wash my truck at a self serve car wash & they have a high pressure nozzle
Any water that might get under the cover, falls into the mounting channels & then into the drain hoses.

The tailgate has a large gap on the sides of it, water does get in there, but tailgate seals might stop most of the water getting inside

The design of the Ram tailgate spoiler holds water like a blocked rain gutter, open a wet tailgate & you are going to get wet pants
======================================================

The BAKFlip G2 provides 100% unobstructed access to your entire truck bed, without blocking the 3rd brake light. When you need to haul a large load, simply fold the cover open, and flip up against the cab. The BAKFlip also provides full access to stake pocket holes and works great with other accessories

Solid Core Panels with Aluminum Skins
Integrated Buckle System
Weight Rated up to 300Lbs
Premium UV Resistant
Automatic Latching Panels

Video & pix
https://bakflip.com/bakflip-g2-tonneau-cover.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9ixsaonVjE

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I leave my bed naked and if I need it waterproofed I will lay down a tarp, load, tie the edges up around it, and then put another tarp over it. If an open bed didn't suit my needs best I think a camper shell makes more sense than a tonneau in a lot of cases since you get about twice the capacity

·
Super Moderator
19 Ram 1500 Big Horn Sport 5.7 Hemi 4X4 QC
6,606 Posts
I have a RetraxONE MX. The only water I get in the bed is from the tailgate, usually from driving it through the car wash. Other than that, it's water tight. Gonna have to get a seal kit for the tailgate before winter.
[/IMG]

·
Registered
135 Posts
BakFlip does some good marketing and has a presence on many of these forums. It has some good features, but waterproofing is not one of them. I had a BakFlip, the hinge area leaked like a sieve after 3 years of northeast winters. Had to use a tarp under it to keep things dry even in the lightest rain, but at least it protected the tarp from the wind :) Many have reported the same experience. BakFlip tried a couple ways to fix it but eventually gave up and reworded their ADs.

I've had the mopar hard folding cover for over three years now and its still tight, not a drop of water in the bed even in monsoons. But if I had something I really did not want to get wet, I'd wrap it in plastic and a tarp. There is not a bed cover today that is guaranteed to be completely waterproof, just too many production and installation variances.

Years ago my eXtang soft cover was excellent, until it got some snow on it and stretched out of shape. :)

In general, solid one piece bed covers offer the best weather protection, but can be inconvenient. Next are those with a solid one piece flexible vinyl covering the entire top. Anything depending on hinge seals is going to leak eventually. Anything without structural support for snow is going to stretch out of shape and leak, unless you never see snow.

·
Registered
88 Posts
my vote is Diamond Back...haven't had a single drop of water in bed, even with automatic car washes, high-power manual car washes and absolute downpours of rain.

VIC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts