DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
I have a 2003 dodge ram single cab, and yes it's a v6.
I'm getting tired of the v6 sound so I'm trying to find out what do I need to do the swap.

I found a 1998 5.2 very cheap.
It was 400 and the transmission 400

I just know that I need to change the transmission the differential gears and get a new computer.

Anyone got any thoughts of this.?

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Hello everyone,
I have a 2003 dodge ram single cab, and yes it's a v6.
I'm getting tired of the v6 sound so I'm trying to find out what do I need to do the swap.

I found a 1998 5.2 very cheap.
It was 400 and the transmission 400

I just know that I need to change the transmission the differential gears and get a new computer.

Anyone got any thoughts of this.?
HAHA it's going to be a bit more than that. 2003 wasn't ever available with a 318 (5.2). That being said, you could get an 03 with a 360 (5.9) which is from the same engine family. You will need to find as much harness as possible from an 02-03 with a 360 (engine and trans). Which transmission is it? To work with the computers(s) it will need to be a 46RE. You should have a 45RFE with your V6 and they are totally different. You will not need to change the rear diff unless you have been having problems with it (not necessary with swap).

You would have an easier time swapping in a 4.7 than a 5.2, as the 3.7 & 4.7 are the same engine family. You would still need PCM & harness, but you could use the same transmission.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
HAHA it's going to be a bit more than that. 2003 wasn't ever available with a 318 (5.2). That being said, you could get an 03 with a 360 (5.9) which is from the same engine family. You will need to find as much harness as possible from an 02-03 with a 360 (engine and trans). Which transmission is it? To work with the computers(s) it will need to be a 46RE. You should have a 45RFE with your V6 and they are totally different. You will not need to change the rear diff unless you have been having problems with it (not necessary with swap).

You would have an easier time swapping in a 4.7 than a 5.2, as the 3.7 & 4.7 are the same engine family. You would still need PCM & harness, but you could use the same transmission.
Yes I was thinking of the 4.7 also.
Then I saw the prices and the 5.2 was cheaper. But it might be more stressful with all the parts I need to get so it would be able to function right.

Does the 4.7 have the same engine mounts as the 3.7

·
Banned
3,844 Posts
Yes I was thinking of the 4.7 also.
Then I saw the prices and the 5.2 was cheaper. But it might be more stressful with all the parts I need to get so it would be able to function right.

Does the 4.7 have the same engine mounts as the 3.7
Not sure, but its a reasonable assumption that the engine cradle is the same in the frame, so you can use factory 4.7 mounts to drop it in. From the 2 Liberty's I have seen that have had 4.7's swapped in place of their 3.7's, it looks like the mounting bosses are in the same place relative to the rear of the block.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts