DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone! :Hey:

So I got a job offer up in Alaska and accepted it last week. I fly up there in 2 weeks and am going to work for a couple months and finish out the busy season before I fly back in October to grab my pickup, my girlfriend, and a uhaul trailer full of all of our things then we are going to do the 3200 mile drive up.

Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for the trip and on anything I should do to the truck prior to heading up there incase I haven't thought of everything.

I have worked/lived in Alaska for 2 separate 3 1/2 month stints in the summers so I am fairly familiar with things up there in the summer months. I'm hoping to get any thing done before I fly up there that will prepare the truck for the winter months. I live in South Dakota now so I am familiar with snow and -40F temperatures but not for several months of cold that they have up there.

My plan is to get the truck gone through and check all fluids and such before we head up then get some cold weather fluids put in it when I get up there in October. I plan on buying a block heater (any suggestions on a particular block heater?) asap so that is done and I have a remote starter in it already. I have a bull bar that I need to install yet and I'm thinking about throwing a LED light bar on it for a little extra light in the dark winter months so we can see the Moose before its too late. I have some good Toyo ATII tires on it so those shouldn't be an issue either. I grew up on a farm so I am pretty comfortable hauling trailers as well. My truck doesn't have a trailer brake controller but I only plan on getting a 6'X12' enclosed trailer so that shouldn't be too much to pull.

My girlfriend is selling her car and my Dodge will become her daily driver since I am getting a company provided pickup. We plan on doing a lot of trips with the Dodge on weekends and hoping to get a lot of ice fishing in as well. I'd like to have everything done and taken care of down here in the lower 48 to save on some costs and so my girlfriend can have a safe and reliable pickup so I don't need to worry about her.

Sorry for the novel, just trying to fill you guys in so you don't come back with the "its cold up there can you deal with it?" type of comments.

Thanks! :gr_grin:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I live in Manitoba, Canada... We get it all here, extreme cold too extreme heat. Last winter I also added a electric battery blanket and it helped the battery out a lot. If you don't wanna get a battery blanket, make sure you have a battery with a really high cold cranking amp rating. Oh and I also put a Polar pad on my transmission, I don't think you have to do this if you let your engine warm up for a while, but I don't always have this option and hated my trans howling for the first 10 minutes or so.

Battery blanket: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/temro-80w-battery-warmer-0113116p.html#.U8qPgPldUm0

Polar Pad: http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/polar-pad-engine-heater-125w-0300004p.html#.U8qP0fldUm0

·
Registered
225 Posts
I lived for 2 years in Alaska while I was stationed on Kodiak island with the u.s. coast guard
you have to carry survival gear with you/spare food/water/and fuel,and spare parts for your truck,as once you leave the northwest territories you have over 700 miles before you get back to any civilization.
during the winter the alcan hiway is pretty much frozen,but in springtime it turns to mud.
screens over your headlites to protect from broken lenses from rocks is a good idea,as this is basically a 2 lane road.
and remember there are no motels once you leave the northwest territories so a sleeping bag,a tent on the side of the road is the only option.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Congrats

on the new job in Alaska. I lived there for three years, flying all over the state. I've made the trip twice from New York and back, the first was on a whim, more or less. A 91 GMC with a split in one tire and just an oil change. The next was a '03 F250 towing a 18' cargo trailer and towing a Uhaul car carrier with an '08 Trailblazer strapped down on the way back.
You didn't say where in Alaska your moving to and that makes a bit of a difference. I lived in Eagle River just north of Anchorage and never needed or used a block heater, didn't need any additional lighting and really outside of a few weeks of highs in the -20 wasn't much different than here in northern NY. Fairbanks on the other hand, get a block heater and a good extension cord. They no longer have plug ins at most parking lots up there but you do see a lot of cars idling, LOL. All the rentals I had while there had them and some mornings they still started hard. Kodiak had a lot of ice and fog, Juneau rain and some pretty good snow squalls, Dutch Harbor just get a sail for the top. You said you were gonna do a lot of trips so I'm thinking along the road system.
One suggestion as far as the trailer is concerned, stay away from surge brakes. If you need brakes on the trailer get electric and a good controller. The U Haul had surge brakes and they suck rolling down some of the passes. Suck bad!!!
I will eventually wander up there again and I would definitely plan on a layover at the Lliard River Hot Springs. There's a campground for tents or campers and nothing better to take the stress away then sitting in a hot springs pool. Great place.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
dirt dauber - From the reading I have been doing I don't think its quite that bad, I think 700 miles before civilization is a pretty big stretch. I have a coworker that made the trip about 4 years ago in a uhaul truck pulling an enclosed trailer and he said he used an extra 10 gallons of gas that he had with him once, otherwise there was no issues.

Thanks imthenra! I am moving (actually flew up a week ago) to Fairbanks. I got a block heater ordered but it is the wrong one.. so I'll have to get that figured out but am planning on having one. They still have plug ins at a hand full of businesses it looks like.
I'll see what my options are for the Uhaul brakes. Appreciate all the advice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts