DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read quite a bit of info concerning mud flaps but I would like some other opinions.

Im getting a black sport and I just cant make myself put on the mopar molded flaps or any of the others. They all have that light black plasticky look to them. They look ok on most other colors but it would almost be a sin to put them on the new px8 black. I want to protect the paint, and may put on clear protective film, but not at the expense of looks.

The heavy duty mopar flaps may look better as they won't "mold" around the sides....opinions? I will def appreciate the function of mud flaps to keep small spashes/dirt off the black paint.....but dont want to look like a grandpa...lol. Anybody got any black ram with with mud flap pics? Thanks!

·
Registered
698 Posts
I think on my '12 Express with these 20's that I'm going to have to install some splash guards...and maybe even fender flares. I haven't had tire spray that transfers to the body like this on any other truck I've ever owned. My last truck was an '89 full-size Jimmy 4X4 with bigger tires. It benefited from splash guards, but even without them it wasn't nearly as bad as my Dodge. I'll try splash guards first, and if it needs more help, I'll get some flares. These big tires really push out to the edge of the wheel well. Yes, I like style too, but when your truck gets a full body splash every time you run through some water, it doesn't look very stylish. I'm not gonna wash this thing a couple of times a week...LOL!

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had to put the molded ones on mine and I love them. Like TNC, I have 20" rims and tires and it really throws the stuff. Since putting them on I have noticed a large decrease in this. I think they look great. Why wouldn't you want to help protect your investment? These trucks don't come cheap...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also have a black 2012 Ram with 20" rims. Plan on getting mudflaps or splash guards. Was also concerned about the looks as well but after driving my truck around the last week and having mud thrown up both sides of my truck I think I'll make the investment. Anyone have a good website to get mudflaps or splash guards?

·
Registered
754 Posts
I have the flairs on my outdoorsman and they do not help... looking for some to fit my flairs that are not the old fashioned flexable flap.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I went with the Mopar molded mudflaps om my Silver Sport. As others have said you definitely need some kind of protection. The flat black isn't my favourite but it kind of blends in so it's not too noticible. I think it would be even less noticible on a black truck. Having said that i am still pondering getting them painted to match the truck. It would definitely be sweeter! They aren't the cheapest out there but IMHO they are the nicest looking....especially if they were color keyed to the body color.

·
Registered
79 Posts
My black '12 Express with 20s needs some for sure. With the salt up here, I can't get down the road without the whole side of the truck turning white. I'd do the OEM ones if ordering the truck new.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The 2011 and newer trucks have available as an option mud spats. They are much better looking than mud flaps but provide decent protection. I had the stock 2010 spats on my truck but swapped them for the newer 2011 spats as they are much better. My aftermarket wheels/tires stick out from the fenders a good bit and the spats block about 90% of what comes up off the tires from hitting the paint.

·
Registered
8 Posts

Its hard enough in Alberta to keep vehicles looking nice and with the black truck i figured anything will help come waxing time to keep it looking much better! Need those lips to keep dirt off the side of the truck, ive noticed quite a huge difference in how dirty my sides got as I went about a week without them compared to now. (Much less spray = less chance for chips/rocks to embed)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Oh ya should have stated these are the mopar ones from the dealer =) Look really good with the chrome trim =)

·
Registered
29 Posts
I will be adding the same ones on Monday at the dealership. The dealer will not install the modled splash guards because lot sof people that buy trucks there travel on gravel roads and the gravel just destroys the molded guards.
They only install these heavy rubber mud flaps and that is what will be going onto my new Longhorn.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
The 2011 and newer trucks have available as an option mud spats. They are much better looking than mud flaps but provide decent protection. I had the stock 2010 spats on my truck but swapped them for the newer 2011 spats as they are much better. My aftermarket wheels/tires stick out from the fenders a good bit and the spats block about 90% of what comes up off the tires from hitting the paint.
Can you describe these 'mud spats' a bit more? Are they smaller versions of the standard molded mud flaps I've seen before? I'd be interested in having something but I'm not all that thrilled about the big, full-sized molded flaps. I did a quick search but only found the molded and heavy rubber versions that look like they're about 8-10" long.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Can you describe these 'mud spats' a bit more? Are they smaller versions of the standard molded mud flaps I've seen before? I'd be interested in having something but I'm not all that thrilled about the big, full-sized molded flaps. I did a quick search but only found the molded and heavy rubber versions that look like they're about 8-10" long.
Here you go:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=90953&page=2&highlight=snrusnak+mod+thread

See post #14 on page 2, it has my write up on the swap from my stock 2010 spats to the new 2011 spats and has pics.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'd never disgrace the SRT with mud flaps but the 2011 Brilliant Black R/T with 22" Rims got them the first week.

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts

Its hard enough in Alberta to keep vehicles looking nice and with the black truck i figured anything will help come waxing time to keep it looking much better! Need those lips to keep dirt off the side of the truck, ive noticed quite a huge difference in how dirty my sides got as I went about a week without them compared to now. (Much less spray = less chance for chips/rocks to embed)
I'm not a fan of mudflaps, but I really like those! The heavy duty rubber mudflaps don't show the chrome trim style like yours. Do you happen to have a part number for those? I can't find them anywhere in the Mopar catalog.

After the first snow fall here earlier this week my truck looked like a whale pissed all over the thing!! :SHOCKED: Roads were fairly clear by the time I headed to work, but these 20's threw stuff everywhere on the truck. If these mudflaps work as well as you say, might be installing a set myself. :smileup:

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm not a fan of mudflaps, but I really like those! The heavy duty rubber mudflaps don't show the chrome trim style like yours. Do you happen to have a part number for those? I can't find them anywhere in the Mopar catalog.

After the first snow fall here earlier this week my truck looked like a whale pissed all over the thing!! :SHOCKED: Roads were fairly clear by the time I headed to work, but these 20's threw stuff everywhere on the truck. If these mudflaps work as well as you say, might be installing a set myself. :smileup:
From what I can see online they are only available through canadian (Maybe even alberta) dealers, I cant see them anywhere else and there is no part number on my reciept sorry =(

·
Registered
310 Posts
Mud flaps are the cheapest route to go to keep rocks, mud etc. from flying up on the RAM. I went with Bushwacker fender flares. I bought the 2 1/2 inch flares that extend out from the fenders. I really like the way they work and look on my RAM:SHOCKED:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts