DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2017 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi 4x4
Wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Dealership says it’s normal MDS system noise, but I just recently started hearing it after owning the truck for 3 years. I do have big mud tires but that noise is only present when I press on the gas pedal while in drive. The noise is not there when I press on the gas pedal in park so I like to think it’s not the engine. I’ve manually turned off the MDS system and the noise is still there only when I press the gas pedal driving down the road so I don’t think it’s the MDS system either. My truck is still under warranty so any help on what could be causing this is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Like you are saying, the MDS is not working when accelerating so that rules it out. My suggestion would be to put your original wheels and tires on and see if the noise goes away. If not, then you can take it back to the dealer. Just be aware that if it is drivetrain related (such as a wheel bearing) and you have been running big mud tires that a warranty claim can be denied.

It's hard for anyone not there to diagnose though as we can't hear or feel the issue.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Agreed. Probably not the MDS as it turns off when accelerating. Probably not tires as they turn all the time the truck is in motion. Sounds like when you press on the gas you’re putting pressure on the entire drive train. My first guess would be the torque converter or the transfer case. Could be a worn U joint, but I doubt it. If it just started after 3 years, the stupid dealer says it’s MDS….I’d sure find another dealer with driveline experience. Good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts