DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off, I apologize if this one has been beat to death. I've spent the last few days reading every thread I could on exhaust though, and I've started from ZERO knowledge to a shaky understanding of how things work.

I've got a 2012 QC Big Horn coming on Friday, and I'd like to do something to the exhaust in the next few weeks (I'm heading for training at Benning soon and won't have nearly as much time to figure all this out). The truck has got stock duals and the dealer threw in a Mopar CAI during negotiations.

Here's my question.

After all the youtube videos and comments I've read in these threads, I'm looking at either a 22" or 24" muffler. I like a deep, low growl rather than loud and in your face. I'm also interested in the 1-3mpg gain, as for a 32gal tank those mpg's would add up.

What would be the real-world differences between just getting the muffler (and Y-pipe) switched out OR getting a full cat-back exhaust installed?

Looking at Magnaflow #16869 or the Mufflex 24.

Like I said, sorry if you guys are sick of this one--I looked at all the threads I could before I put this up to make sure it wasn't explicitly covered somewhere else first. And thanks for the help.

Suss

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
Cat back would change the sound more or at least the Corsa one's seem to, if u just change the muffler and y pipe you'll just increase the flow, I like the sound of mine, low growl but when u step on it, it is pretty loud. I have the y pipe and 22" magnaflow muffler.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick response. Any idea how big the difference in volume is between the 22 and 24 (either in or outside the cab)?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
The stock exhaust is very good. It is stainless steel, has mandrel bends, and has properly sized pipe. The restrictive parts are the exhaust manifolds, the y pipe, and the muffler. Replacing the muffler with a magnaflow one, or replacing the catback with the magnaflow kit will give you the same results in performance and sound. The only difference is the magnaflow cat back uses 2.5" dual pipes where oem dual pipes are 2.25" (plenty of flow with oem...so no need to go to the 2.5").

Just get a muffler welded in, or use the mufflex kit, they are good I hear. The mufflex and the y pipe change would be money better spent than getting the catback.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the advice, that's just what I wanted to know.

Would you be able to point me toward the part #s I'd need on the Magnaflow side for the muffler/y-pipe or Mufflex kit? I'm pretty new to this and can't really differentiate between all the different styles on the Magnaflow site as for what I'd need.

And thanks again for the help---being new to the board and to mods, it's beyond valuable.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
What exactly do you want? How loud? The shorter and smaller diameter the muffler (smaller volume) the louder it will be. The longer and bigger diameter the quieter it will be (more volume). The size of a straight through type muffler (like magnaflow) doesn't have really any effect on performance/flow, only on sound level. You can choose the size you want on their website, but FYI you will need a 3" single inlet/2.25" dual outlet muffler to replace the oem and reuse the rest of the exhaust. Don't let anyone try to talk you into cutting off the resonators near the tailpipes (unless you are ready to hear drone). They don't hurt performance so just leave them.

EDIT: For reference, the 24" magnaflow will probably be as quiet as oem at idle, and sound good and somewhat loud but not obnoxious at WOT. A 14" muffler will be LOUD.

·
Registered
698 Posts
On these later Rams with the dual tailpipes, I just can't see much if any increase in power with a full cat-back system vs. a good straight-through muffler like Magnaflow and Borla. Unless you're going to go with headers, I even wonder how restrictive the OEM y-pipe is. On the basically stock pickup with nothing more than an intake and exhaust mod, I'll bet there's little difference until you go the whole route with headers.

I've had lots of header equipped vehicles over the years. That along with a higher flow exhaust is where noticeable gains start happening if your air/fuel delivery is a good match. Those crimped spots in the pipe might not be as restrictive as most think on this truck either. If you look at quite a few quality aftermarket performance headers that dump all cylinders into one collecter for one large exhaust pipe to the rear, many of them use the half-moon design. My last set of Edelbrock tubular headers for my 4X4 full size Jimmy used this design. I even asked Edelbrock and a local performance builder about this, as I was installing the system on decently built 383 stroker engine. "No problem" was the reply from both sources. They both stated that this type of design is good for at least 450 hp in most any street application. The half-moon setup in my Dodge is exactly the same size as the collector end of my Edelbrock headers. If I don't go to headers on my Ram, I don't see how this will even be an issue. I think many look at that setup and kind of freak out about it.

Now I was also told that the more race oriented the application was where wide-open-throttle was the only priority, then a more open design "could" provide more flow for more power. Our Ram's muffler is probably the only noticeable disturbance to exhaust flow, and let's face it, it's probably not all that bad either. A straight-through muffler and a higher flow intake is probably about as much as one needs for a decent return on the money. Otherwise I think headers and the whole y-pipe and exhaust swap would be the way to go.

On the comment about trying to get 1-3 mpg increase, that may be optimistic. I noticed maybe 1/2 to 1 mpg at best on the highway empty. However, I think towing improved even more...maybe at least 2 mpg. I guess that's not suprising as you're running at a higher rpm more frequently to take advantage of the better intake and exhaust flow.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^like he said don't expect 1-3mpg increase, you'll be disappointed...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm looking for something like a deep, hard rumble if that makes sense, that won't be too loud in the cab to the point that I'd get tired of it driving long distance. Just enough to turn heads rather than piss off the neighbors when the car is pulling around.

I see this this fits the 3"/2.25" requirements, but is this an 18?

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/shopexd.asp?zone=main&id=9367

I know this is going to be a rookie question, but as far as the size/sound, am I looking at the body length or overall? If so, is my only choice for the truck this 18" rather than a 22/24?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as MPGs, if I get 1 extra I'd be happy. I'm also looking for a bit of that mean sound. It's my first truck so I'm trying to take it slow, but I'd like to do a little here and there to get my heart rate up when I turn the key.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
18" oval - 12278

Yes that is the only choice it looks like. The 18" probably won't be too loud for you.

The body of the muffler is the only part that will muffle sound, not the overall length that includes the pipes to clamp/weld to.

It is also possible to get a muffler that has dual 2.5" outlets, and have a muffler shop reduce them to the stock 2.25" dual pipes. There's not really anything wrong with this, just a little more work for them and maybe cost a little more. This opens you up to longer mufflers though if you'd prefer.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You'd likely be happy with the 18", many get it and wish they got the 14". Although it all depends, many get the 14" and wish they got the 18" lol.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
You could also check out dynomax they make good mufflers basically identical to magnaflow maybe they have more sizes...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So it's either the 18" Magnaflow or 24" Mufflex between those two?

What about that Y-pipe?

There's a local shop down the street that I was thinking of heading over to next week to see what they had. I appreciate the head start though, so at least now I can go in there knowing a little better what I'm looking for.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
y pipe would need to be 2.5" dual inlet/3" single outlet (magnaflow makes one) and it pretty much needs welded in. There was a member here who posted what mandrel bends and clamps are needed to clamp it in but it was fairly extensive list, probably no cheaper than to get it welded in depending on where you are located...

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks again Sean!

And one last question before somebody around here slaps me...

Would there be any considerable difference in performance/sound if I didn't get the y-pipe swapped out?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
:box:

I don't slap I punch...

The sound probably won't be at all noticeable with the aftermarket y pipe vs oem y pipe.

The performance will be better, but like mentioned above it will be a minimal gain on an other wise stock engine. Probably a couple hp at most.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you're ever in Tampa I'll buy you a beer. You just saved me about a grand in what sounds like unnecessary mods.

I'll head to the shop next week and update the thread when I get back with the results.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
No problem. I didn't even realize you were only 2 hours away from me lol. If I'm ever there I'll let you know, I usually head that way a few times a year.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
SO just an update:

I talked to my buddy who convinced me that for the extra few hundred dollars that the Y-pipe wasn't worth it for the time being. Went to the exhaust shop, got the truck checked out, and I'm going to get a quote for a 22" this week. He said he could easily put the 22 on, but might have to add an extra piece of pipe to route it upwards though.

Decided on the 22 after watching a ton of youtube and finally finding two head-to-head videos of the 18 and 22 and just really liked the low growl of the 22 compared to the higher pitched 18.

Will update again after I hear from the shop.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts