DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can somebody explain in detail how the flap that’s in the stock muffler works? Biggest reason I hesitate about changing my muffler out is because of the MDS system that you cannot deactivate permanently. I understand that the sound when it goes into that mode is annoying.

·
Happy Ram - No more GM
986 Posts
So is there any way to delete the MDS system and how does the “flap” open and shut?
You will need a new unlocked ECM and a tune. The 15 to current Chrysler vehicles have locked PCM’s.

Why do you want to disable the MDS? Is a solid reliable system, unlike GM’s AFM.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
I would assume it is for sound and backpressure, I know for a fact that the 6.4 hemi muffler put onto a 5.7 hemi will make the motor whisper quiet. It also hurt low rpm torque but it is possible the computer didn't have time to adjust to the muffler.

There is a spring on the flapper. Not sure if it is thermostatic or not.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I assume that the flapper is inside the muffler somewhere? On my two previous GM trucks I clamped the flappers permanently open(the flapper is located after the muffler, so easy access) to give it a little more sound as the GM trucks were so quiet you couldn't tell if the engine was on without looking at the tach. If its possible to do the same on the Ram I would at least try it since its basically a free mod.

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
I know GM had an issue with the valve causing a squeaking sound when AFM activated. I have not heard of such an issue on the Ram mufflers.

My exhaust has a straight through Corsa now-no restriction and no drone

·
Super Moderator
34,461 Posts
About like it does in MDS with the stock muffler

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
That flap is to cancel the sound waves to make it quite in the cab when crusing, I put a Mufflex system on mine and it made a little more noise in the cab while crusing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts