DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I got a 2012 QC White Outdoorsman Hemi with the 3.92s and was wondering if any of you guys ever installed mufflers or the airlift and regretted and and took it off or switched it for something that you thought was better. I've read a lot of the threads and it seems that the Magnaflow reduces the drone the best. I'm not looking for a whole kit just a muffler replacement. Have any of you taken the muffler out completely and just left resonator or replaced muffler and resonator. Would like to hear your opinions! The drone is what I'm most worried about, haven't heard many mufflers that didn't sound good except on those 4cyl. Also, with the Airlift looks like many people love them and customize them to their likings. How bad does it affect stock ride. I do haul firewood during the year and am looking at getting a TT soon. Thanks for the Replies

·
Registered
13 Posts
I put flowmaster 2 chamber delta muffler on my 10 bighorn. I prefer the sound of the flowmaster
I dont notice a drone at all. Yeah you can hear it, but it's a good sound. Cut your pipe off under the cab and turn them down. That is where that awful drone comes from. I have factory duals out the back and I'm sure that reduces drone a lot. Yours has a single pipe out the back and turned behind right rear wheel I believe
? I'm not sure if that would drone more on not. As for the airbag thing I am not sure. I am interested in doing the same thing though.

·
Premium Member
6,931 Posts
Deflate the 1000's down to 5 psi when not towing/hauling and there is no affect on ride.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Go with the best

Since sounds like you're a pro, you should go with the best air suspension.

TLC is the best - 5 times the lifting power of inside-the-coil systems.

Please check out our vendor forum or website. Happy to answer any questions.

·
Registered
261 Posts
It really depends on how hard you plan on pushing your truck. I have the Airlift 1000s on mine, and with 900lbs of ATV & gear in the bed and a 7000ish lb trailer on the hitch it sits dead level and handles/rides like its almost empty. I also like the ride quality of it unloaded with 5-10psi in the bags.

/my 2cents

·
Registered
698 Posts
I've had the OEM muffler replaced with a 19" Borla...very similar to a Magnaflow...and did the Airlift bags over a year ago. I've towed our 5000 pound travel trailer to the Smokey Mountains in Tennessee and to Colorado with no weight distributing hitch. Even in steep, tight mountain roads, the truck handled great with the Airlift bags. If I had a noticeably heavier trailer, I think a weight distributing hitch would be adviseable, but up to a point...probably somewhere between 5000-6000 pounds...the airbags seem more than capable of operating the truck safely...no porpoising, bucking, diving, or wallowing in the corners. Along with the muffler swap, I added a K&N air filter and extra cold air intake mod to the airbox. I wouldn't change any of these mods for any reason. I'd recommend keeping the resonators on the OEM exhaust, as I think they help with any drone...MDS or otherwise.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys! I did go with the Airlift only bc i was able to get if for $25. I want a nice exhaust but don't see the point in replacing the entire system. Just started looking at Mufflex and thinking thats they way I'm going to go. Looking at the aggressive or Moderate. Just don't want the drone to be to bad because I plan on keeping the MDS on.

·
Registered
571 Posts
I have both the airlift 1000 kit and have replaced the muffler. I did them at the same time. The only difference is that i lowered my truck and needed the airlift kit to help with hauling stuff in the bed because the belltech springs were way too soft for me. For the exhaust, I went with the mufflex delete kit. It is sweet. Can be really loud at WOT and a bit more mild when cruising. But when the MDS comes on you definantly know it. but with the factory dual exhaust i dont think the drone is bad.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sounds good. I don't have factory duals, idk if that will make a difference or not. Can't have it to loud or wife will complain and not good when trying to sneak into hunting camp. My fathers exhaust keeps disconnecting in front of the muffler and that just sounds god awful in 4 cyl and even 8. Will hopefully install airlift this weekend and have pics as I will be picking up firewood

·
Registered
132 Posts
It really depends on how hard you plan on pushing your truck. I have the Airlift 1000s on mine, and with 900lbs of ATV & gear in the bed and a 7000ish lb trailer on the hitch it sits dead level and handles/rides like its almost empty. I also like the ride quality of it unloaded with 5-10psi in the bags.

/my 2cents
hey im just looking at buying a atv and im thinking there is going to be an issue with closing the tailgate since my truck being a crew cab. is yours a crew or quad? and how do you load the atv and have the tailgate all the way up or just part of the way up so it doesnt hit the jack on the trailer?

thanks
doug

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
airlift + magnaflow muffler from Discount Auto Performance = huge savings, whenever you are ready and know what you want let me know I would be more than happy to pull a quote for you :)

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Airlift v. TLC

Almost every week it seems we are getting new customers ordering TLC™ who have the "inside the coil spring bags".

TLC is rated over 5,000 pounds of lift v. 1,000 pounds of lift.

TLC has heavy duty rubber air springs v. plastic sleeves.

TLC levels heavy loads at 20-30 psi v. 50-100 psi.

TLC current sale price is about $400 v. $100.

Of course, you can't just look at price.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Dont go with the mufflex it is junk and does not mount up well. I ordered one and of course does not quite line up right. Go to a muffler shop and have them cut out the muffler and install a magno, flowmaster etc.... I cut out the mufflex mounts and just used the muffler save yourself the hassle and it will be cheaper. Dont go with the airlift 1000's this setup is a joke and you will not be happy with it. You have plenty of room to install a tru air bag setup I have Airlift Dominators on mine mounted up nicely here is a photo.

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
Dont go with the mufflex it is junk and does not mount up well. I ordered one and of course does not quite line up right. Go to a muffler shop and have them cut out the muffler and install a magno, flowmaster etc.... I cut out the mufflex mounts and just used the muffler save yourself the hassle and it will be cheaper. Dont go with the airlift 1000's this setup is a joke and you will not be happy with it. You have plenty of room to install a tru air bag setup I have Airlift Dominators on mine mounted up nicely here is a photo.
Do you have a larger size picture? kind of hard to see the smaller one above.

Thanks
Jeremiah
Discount Auto Performance

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I have an airlift 1000. Put it in the second day I owned the truck.

Works great!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Thanks for the info guys! I did go with the Airlift only bc i was able to get if for $25. I want a nice exhaust but don't see the point in replacing the entire system. Just started looking at Mufflex and thinking thats they way I'm going to go. Looking at the aggressive or Moderate. Just don't want the drone to be to bad because I plan on keeping the MDS on.
Mufflex is junk and WAY over priced. Save yourself $100+ and time on your back and just buy the muffler and have it welded in. You'll be a lot happier.

Almost every week it seems we are getting new customers ordering TLC™ who have the "inside the coil spring bags".

TLC is rated over 5,000 pounds of lift v. 1,000 pounds of lift.

TLC has heavy duty rubber air springs v. plastic sleeves.

TLC levels heavy loads at 20-30 psi v. 50-100 psi.

TLC current sale price is about $400 v. $100.

Of course, you can't just look at price.
I like the TLC system but isn't some of the above misleading? Such as the 5K vs 1K pounds of lift. You simply cant put 5K worth of weight in the bed of your truck, technically depending on the model you shouldn't even have 2K in the bed of the truck. 5K of lift is nice but you're still overloading the axles and tires so it's kind of overkill. And the 20-30psi vs 50-100psi. The airlift system has a max of 35psi and most folks that have them don't see a need to inflate them that high to level the load.

I have he A1000 bags and I went with them simply because of all the good reviews I read and the price is great. I like the TLC system a lot because its a well put together system but at the time it was out of the price range.

No mater what you chose bags are definitely needed with these coil spring trucks.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The first rule, of course, is never exceed the GVWR or GCWR.

I mentioned TLC 5K v. AL1000 1K capacity to describe the power of the TLC system versus others.

Even though TLC has way more lift capacity than needed, this allows TLC to operate at lower air pressure (10-30 psi) and deliver maximum control and comfort loaded and unloaded.

Many TLC customers have switched from AL1000 because of the power and performance of TLC. We have not had a single customer trade their TLC system for AL1000.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I went with the air lift for under a $100.00 it is hard to beat. I am very happy with it. Later on if I decide to with the total load control, I figure I will have gotten more than my money out of my air lifts.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts