DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning fellas

New member here, and new truck owner. I'm very green when it comes to working on trucks, and I got a question about replacing my muffler with a magnaflow.

I've measure the pipes, I got a si/do muffler, the si pipe is 3" and the do's are 2.25". I'm going to need extension pipes, should I be getting 3" and 2.25" extension pipes, will 2.25" extension pipes slide over the existing 2.25" exhaust pipes?

Go ahead and bust my balls for the dumb question:doh: but I need to know so I can get all the right parts so my buddy can help splice in the new muffler

·
Registered
839 Posts
Cant help on the sizing, but wanted to comment.

I wish that our Rams were set up like my wife's new Mustang.

They use these ball and socket type exhausts and there is just two bolts.....the positioning of the pipe/muffler is easy due to the ball and socket seal......

I replaced the mufflers and tailpipes on her Mustang in about 15 minutes.

Our Rams use the old style slip connecttions...which is harder and also means that removing the pipes/mufflers later after the yare used a while will be way more difficult.

I am leasing my truck and would love to put some better sounding mufflers on, but cant do that easily...... :(

·
Registered
10 Posts
Going of my memory as I did my 11, which should be the same as your 12, I used a flowmaster si/do, just basicly replacing the stock muffler. I added a section of 3" flarred on one end to go over the factory pipe and that slipped over my muffler. The dual out sliped right onto my factory tailpipes. So basicly just needed the 3" pipe and 4 clamps. I did tack some hangers onto the muffler using the stock locations. Took a little time to do and hardest part was making sure the tailpipes threw the bumber were even. But should only take about a half hr to remove as it's a lease so didnt want to cut or weld to any of the stock parts and be able to easily return it to stock.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Going of my memory as I did my 11, which should be the same as your 12, I used a flowmaster si/do, just basicly replacing the stock muffler. I added a section of 3" flarred on one end to go over the factory pipe and that slipped over my muffler. The dual out sliped right onto my factory tailpipes. So basicly just needed the 3" pipe and 4 clamps. I did tack some hangers onto the muffler using the stock locations. Took a little time to do and hardest part was making sure the tailpipes threw the bumber were even. But should only take about a half hr to remove as it's a lease so didnt want to cut or weld to any of the stock parts and be able to easily return it to stock.
My concern is that with the clamp type slip connections, after a while they freeze up and wont come apart easily.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm hoping I can find some 6" or 8" extension pipes that have the flares on both ends so it can easily fit over the exhaust pipes and pipes on the new muffler. Then I can tighten it up with the clamps.

I'm going with the Magnaflow 18" muffler and the stock muffler is 26".

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Just take it to a muffler shop, they'll provide the extra pipes and charges you about 50 bucks for the install.
DITTO THAT!

I just went through this ordeal. If I had just gone to the muffler shop in the first place I would have saved time and money.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Universal Magnaflow muffler for HEMI
In/Out .....Length Overall Stainless Polished

3in./2.25in. 18in. 24in. ...12278 ... 14278
3in./2.5in... 14in. 20in. ..12198 ... 14221
3in./2.5in. . 18in. 24in. .. 12288 ... 14288
3in./2.5in. . 24in. 30in. .. 12388 ... N/A
3in./3in. ... 18in. 24in. .. 12298 ... 14298
3in./3in. ... 24in. 30in. .. 12398 ... N/A

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/universalmuffler.asp