DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone found a muffler that switches out from stock with little modification to the rest of the stock 12 exhaust? Also by changing mufflers to a less restrictive flow version does this effect the mds from kicking in. I'm looking for a better sound plus possible mpg gains.

·
Registered
698 Posts
You can accomplish a muffler swap with several of the Magnaflow or Borla mufflers available with little drama and no muffler shop welding if you're determined. Get a muffler with a single 3" inlet and dual 2.25" outlets. Get creative and install a universal hangar for the muffler to replace the one attached to the OEM muffler.

Now here's one small element that will probably require a muffler shop. Measure the distance you need forward of the attached aftermarket muffler, and get a muffler shop to cut and form the ends as required on a length of 3" inlet pipe. You will probably need a very small dog leg bent into this piece of pipe. Attach all joints with quality clamps.

I like the welded scenario a little better for ease of alignment, durability, and the use of an OEM replica muffler hangar to use the excellent OEM hanger location on the frame.

As to MDS, no muffler seems to affect when/how MDS engages, as this is a computer controlled function based on engine load. It is remotely possible that some engine performance enhancement yielded by a better exhaust and intake mod "might" affect MDS engagement, but this would be hard to qualify. The sound effect by MDS with an aftermarket muffler seems to the area of biggest debate and annoyance. Many find it extremely annoying while many hardly notice it.

·
Registered
698 Posts
There are lots of vid/audio clips on YouTube of our trucks to give you lots of exposure. On the MDS issue, however, a lot of folks consider that leaving the factory resonators on is important. Some of the annoying MDS drone seems to be eliminated by leaving them on. They don't affect flow or hurt performance, so many leave them on. I left mine on with my 19" Borla muffler, and I love the deep, smooth sound of my exhaust. My muffler guy said that many experience an annoying "braaap!" or racking noise on some trucks when removing the resonators.

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
My Ram came with single in/dual out muffler
I replaced the stock muffler with an 18" magnaflow

On occasion i hear the strange noise that our Rams make, but only once in a while driving between 27 - about 30 MPH in town/city driving.
In those conditions the MDS is trying to decide whether to kick in or not, so i just shift down 1 gear. it keeps the MDS from kicking in, believe it or not, i think i get better mileage in town in 4th or 5th, then i do in 5th Overdrive

·
Registered
628 Posts
Mufflex 14". Perfect fit, do it yourself in about an hour

·
Registered
93 Posts
i put a magnaflow muffler with double exhaust pipes out the back,looks and sounds good :smileup:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mufflex 14". Perfect fit, do it yourself in about an hour
The Mufflex setups seem to be a great kits. You can go back to stock easy and install yourself. Ive been looking at them. I really like they have a delete kit. Not what id want but cool.

·
Registered
628 Posts
They use magnaflow mufflers, different sizes depending on how aggressive you want it to sound. I have fond my truck and my dads truck . No issues, sounds and performs great, perfect fit and easy to install.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I'd agree that Mufflex system is probably the best bolt-on solution. You'll just spend more money than doing the muffler alone with the extended 3" inlet. My whole setup with a 19" Borla muffler ended up costing $160, labor and all with the components welded. So, I think it's somewhat a matter of cost. You do get 2.5" tailpipes with the Mufflex over the 2.25" size on our later trucks, but unless you're running a y-pipe mod and maybe even headers, you're probably not going to realize any noticable performance or sound difference. The quality of the Mufflex kit is not in question.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts