DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rolled over 400 miles on my new 2018 Tradesman Quad Cab. I intended to immediately swap out the muffler with something like a cherry bomb. But, Holy Cow! this truck rides great and is quiet on the inside!!
I would like a throatier sound taking off and slowing down but absolutely don't want much if any more sound in the cab. (I was told this truck has noise canceling technology in the cab.)
I have the 3.6 V6 and not interested in a cat back system or changing out the bumper. Just a little more aggressive sound. Any suggestions??
Has anybody eliminated the muffler and left the resonator on? What did that do?
Or just replaced the muffler and left the resonator on?

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just rolled over 400 miles on my new 2018 Tradesman Quad Cab. I intended to immediately swap out the muffler with something like a cherry bomb. But, Holy Cow! this truck rides great and is quiet on the inside!!
I would like a throatier sound taking off and slowing down but absolutely don't want much if any more sound in the cab. (I was told this truck has noise canceling technology in the cab.)
I have the 3.6 V6 and not interested in a cat back system or changing out the bumper. Just a little more aggressive sound. Any suggestions??
Has anybody eliminated the muffler and left the resonator on? What did that do?
Or just replaced the muffler and left the resonator on?
Leave it alone, if you want a throatier sound then you need to swap engines not mufflers. Anything you do to a 3.6 is going to make it sound like a fart can on a honda.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
^^^^^^This right here.^^^^^^^^
Nothing sounds like a V8.
Nothing sounds like a V10.
V6 should be quiet as a church mouse so you don't hear it's annoying tone.

Stupid kompuketor.............

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is there anybody on here who have changed mufflers for a better sound on the V6 WITHOUT the drone?
Surely I'm not the first.
As for the ones who have replied, if I wanted or needed a Hemi that's what I would have bought but I quite happy with my V6 except would like a little more sound without the drone.
A buddy of mine has a Dakota V6 and his sounds good but too much drone.

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
My Best Friends Neighbor has a stock V-6. He farted around with trying various mufflers , after I upgraded to my Magnaflow.
Bottom Line? Nothing sounded, as good, as OEM.

Really surprised me he would even try out various mufflers.

He must have a relative in a muffler shop or something because the guy is cheap as sin.

Regarding mufflers and drone, stay with a long wide muffler, shorter or narrower produces more MDS Drone.

When I was deciding what I wanted, i visited youtube and searched Ram muffler Magnaflow flowmaster, etc.

then listened to a ton of them.

Regarding noise cancelling, am not impressed with my 2014 ram and added some stinger roadkill to floors, walls, Much better now.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I'd try asking around on some Jeep forums since that is the only engine you can get in them. My experience is that every single muffler swap I've heard on a 3.6L wrangler sounds terrible and the best thing you can do is keep the stock system or find something even quieter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts