DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this happens to all vehicles at some point. But should it happen to my Brand new 2012 ram with 100 miles on it?

Happening to anyone else? I live in a very dry climate (El Paso Texas) wonder if this has anything to do with it. The truck is super clean, never smoke in it or leave anything wet in it. so i dont know.

Its driving me nuts! lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
I know this happens to all vehicles at some point. But should it happen to my Brand new 2012 ram with 100 miles on it?

Happening to anyone else? I live in a very dry climate (El Paso Texas) wonder if this has anything to do with it. The truck is super clean, never smoke in it or leave anything wet in it. so i dont know.

Its driving me nuts! lol
Every now and then I get a hint of a musty smell also. It seems to be getting better though. Funny thing is that I received a survey for my truck, and one of the questions is about the musty smell.

·
Registered
471 Posts
the make or at least they used to make a spray you could use in the vent system to take away that scent.....it worked on an older vehicle i had...might wanna give that a try

·
Registered
487 Posts

Its driving me nuts! lol
With only a hundred miles on it its very unlikely you've got anything like mold growing in there, especially when you live in a dry climate. I'd drive it for a month or so and see what happens. It'll likely go away.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
recirculate

Yes everytime i run it i run it on recycle cause i dont want to suck in dust from outside its crazy dusty here. Ill try that spray

Just curious where did you take the survey ?

·
Registered
251 Posts
Yes everytime i run it i run it on recycle cause i dont want to suck in dust from outside its crazy dusty here. Ill try that spray

I got two surveys, one for each vehicle we bought. It came from Dodge directly to my email. Maybe because I registered the vehicles on the website.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm willing to bet that is why you're getting the smell. The cure is to clean the evap coils with something like the product suggested above. Moisture builds up when you leave it on re-circ mode. It is a good idea to run it in normal AC mode (outside air) for the last couple minutes of travel to help dry out the system when using AC. Some cars seem to be more vulnerable to this than others.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm willing to bet that is why you're getting the smell. The cure is to clean the evap coils with something like the product suggested above. Moisture builds up when you leave it on re-circ mode. It is a good idea to run it in normal AC mode (outside air) for the last couple minutes of travel to help dry out the system when using AC. Some cars seem to be more vulnerable to this than others.
We've had a lot of cars, new and old, and nothing like this on a new car...ever! Is it because it's a RAM, and they smell?

·
Registered
354 Posts

Sounds like you need to do the CAF (Cabin Air Filter) install to keep the dust out. Plenty of how to threads can be found on the forum. Its both cheap and easy to do. May solve your problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Smell of death from Vents

just bought my truck. Its brand new with 340miles on it and the vents smell like something died in it. I traced it to the coolant reservoir. Then I opened my radiator cap. Be prepared to puke.

The smell is the coolant. I am going to bring my truck back it to see if the dealership can do something. Well let you know how it turns out.

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Maybe heater core is leaking? Or the fittings, if your getting same smell from the coolant tank.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Its driving me nuts! lol
I live in Las Cruces so I know what you mean about the dust. I also bought a 2012 this year but I have no bad smell. I did install the cabin air filter mod and it really makes a difference. No dust accumulating on the horizontal surfaces inside the truck. I am sure glad I did it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts