DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Finally got around to it. Thanks to the post suggesting the Autozone part #4128 by Motorad. Went in just fine and works great on the test spin!
I did find the drain plug on the bottom driver side of the radiator, just wiggled it out with a bucket under it. 13mm bolts on the thermostat housing and it was out! The gasket was a quick, easy swap to the new T-stat!

Here is the opening at 180.....takes a minute, but it works well....no check engine lights at all!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehQRpcxKljc

·
Registered
352 Posts
what does this 180 t-stat actually do? is there performance gains?

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It helps the motor run cooler, which makes it more efficeient. No big gains, but it will help longevity.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Glad to here you got it in so to speak... Now you just need to pull that engine fan.

·
Registered
628 Posts
that video was very helpful to me cause ive been studying my temp gauge latley in preperation for doing a 180 t-stat. Can someone please tell me how to give rep points so i can cough some up for this one.

·
Registered
628 Posts
rep points given , the video shows actuall results in real time under real life conditions, very informative for those that have been studying their temps. please excuse the typing , broke my right hand and doin it all left takes for ever

Reactions: 916Timmy

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:rep: for typing with a broken hand! I loved all the help I got when I first joined, just trying to spread the love :) This is what I would have wanted looking at a T-stat install thread!

·
Registered
10 Posts
So does a 180* tstat only become beneficial if you have a tuner or can you reap benefits without one??

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You can run one without a tuner, it doesn't make a difference. Now, if you run a 180 T-stat and pull the mechanical fan off the engine...then it's tuner time! 12.99 at autozone :)

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
you can still run both without a tuner (at least in 3rd gens)... and those that ask, an efan takes away parasitic loss on the crank (1 less weight thing to turn)..suppose to be good for a few ponies...remember, 1 by itself will seem meaningless, but start adding up these little meaningless (we like to call it supporting mods) mods and you'll be prepared in case you want to do a big mod (like a cam...)..

and timmy..the 23rd is lookin good right now in sac..got a couple (if not more) fellas coming to race as well..

·
Registered
269 Posts
Glad you posted about this, since I think this is going to be a quick saturday morning mod this week. Is that part number the same all around or would an 05 Ram have a different one? good write up!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts