DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.9L 2WD a couple of days ago. It only has 87,000 miles on it. I thought it was a good looking truck with only a few dings on the body. The lower ball joints need to be replaced on it. Windshield is cracked ,and the grille looks like it could use a replacement. Tires are also getting towards the end of their life too. I just wanted to know from the Dodge community what exactly i should get done to this truck. Is there anything I need look for with this particular model? I am new to the community. Anything would be appreciated

·
Registered
739 Posts
I don't have anything model specific since I've never owned on of those.
Just the usual precautionary stuff that applies to any newly acquired vehicle.

That's a low mileage truck, but it's working toward being 20 years old too, so unless you know for sure all the fluids have been attended to fairly recently—by which I mean not just engine oil and filter, but brake, power steering, transmission and rear axle fluids—I'd want to replace them all with fresh.
I'd go over the brakes very carefully too, looking for any corrosion or weathering in brake lines and any weeping anywhere. Ditto engine belts and hoses etc.
Perhaps only a few things are likely to be worn out as a result of mileage, but unless the service history is available to suggest otherwise, a fair few components might be at the end of their shelf life by reason of age.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts