DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Hemi or Diesel

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am on the diesel forum doing some research. I am contemplating trading for a late 3rd gen Diesel. What do you guys think?

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
54,098 Posts
Much as I like the diesels and would love to have one, just don't have the need for it lol. You planning on really working your truck? A lot of heavy hauling/towing? Guess it all depends on what you need, but if the HEMI is sufficient, I'd say stick with it.

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
Hey guys, I am on the diesel forum doing some research. I am contemplating trading for a late 3rd gen Diesel. What do you guys think?
That's a hard question to answer; both are great trucks.

The question should be why do you think you want a diesel. As was mentioned, if you need it for a lot of heavy work or towing then it might be the right thing to do. If you think its just cool to own a diesel that's OK too just remember HD truck with a diesel has much higher costs involved to maintain it.

I thought about a diesel since I tow a lot, but the load is only about 3,500 lbs so I didn't "need" the diesel. In the long run the costs didn't make sense so I went with the Hemi.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have been in your boat NUMEROUS times. I have even brought a Ram 2500 With Cummins home 2x. All in all, it came down to value factor.

I tow, but not on a daily basis so the cost of diesel at $3.85 and Gas at $2.85, plus you factor in dual batteries, and $70 oil changes, it really seems to outweigh the Towing capability and long life.

But, if you town on a regular basis, and can afford the added expense, then by all means I'd make the trade.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I had thought about a diesel as well. The 2500 can obviously out tow/haul my 1500, but they also get better fuel economy. My dad's cummins averages about 24 mpg when I'm averaging about 16 on the same highway.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had thought about a diesel as well. The 2500 can obviously out tow/haul my 1500, but they also get better fuel economy. My dad's cummins averages about 24 mpg when I'm averaging about 16 on the same highway.
Just curious...what year model is your dad's Cummins? Lately I've noticed friends and aquaintenances with new diesels not getting the mileage that slightly earlier model Dodge diesels do. Maybe this is an emissions or EPA tweaking deal. I don't know. Anyone else know or hear anything like this?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There is no doubt my Hemi will tow what I need it to. The ony thing is I get 8mpg while I do it. I avg around 17 highway right now. Of course, I daily drive my Ram. The cool factor is there for a diesel not to mention I have to do less to it to make it the way I want or need it. I tow occasionally but, haul quite a bit. I think on the newer diesels if you do the egr and dpf delete the maintenance and reliability are pretty good. The extra mileage you would get will outweigh the price for fuel. Say I get 17 on the highway with Dynomax catback, tonneau cover, and Superchips Cortex. With a diesel and the dpf delete and egr delete would be low to mid 20s(20 to 24.) Do you think money up front is worth the price of the trade?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just curious...what year model is your dad's Cummins? Lately I've noticed friends and aquaintenances with new diesels not getting the mileage that slightly earlier model Dodge diesels do. Maybe this is an emissions or EPA tweaking deal. I don't know. Anyone else know or hear anything like this?
It is an emmissions deal. Delete the DPF and EGR then the tuner to adjust for it and boom there ya go Diesel mileage.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't get me wrong. I love my truck but, if I am going to keep this thing for a long time a diesel may be the way to go. I will put a list up. Maybe this will help me think through it. Can we add a poll to this too?

Here we go.
Mileage...Diesel
Power...Diesel
Engine life...Diesel
Trans...About the Same
Cool factor...I love my 2010 so, I will call it a draw.
Maintenance...Hemi
Cost of ownership...Hemi
Towing and Payload...Diesel
Resale...I would have to say Diesel

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd do it then.
I brought a 2006 2500 home and was getting around 17-21(2wd auto). Right now I am averaging 14-16, and that's due to me lead footing it. I am stock, except for the exhaust.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did a quick figure based on 30 gallons, you would get around 150 miles more per tank. This is based off of what I get on the highway vs an avg of what I have seen on the Diesels at 22mpg. By those figures the fuel cost would be pretty much identical.

·
Registered
115 Posts
If you're plan to do the deletes and put on a tuner, it will leave telltale signs that the emission system has been altered, even if you put everything back to its original configuration. So if a service department wants to be picky, they'll know it was deleted and could easily deny warranty work.

If you're in an area that does annual or semi-annual emissions checks, it'll have to be put back to its original state before the inspection, and it still might not pass if codes come up when they check.

And lastly, doing deletes (or any tampering with emissions systems) is a federal offense. A lot of people get away with it, but who knows for how long?

I'm not trying to talk you out of, or into anything. Just pointing out a few things I learned during the year I had my 2010 2500 Ram CTD. I switched to a 2011 Hemi, and found I get as good of mileage towing my 6000# plus travel trailer (10-12 mpg), and much better mileage when not carrying a load (20 more or less, compared to 15-17mpg, all stock).

Bill

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How fast are you running while towing? I just got done towing an unloaded 14' enclosed and got 8.4 running between 70 and 75 down the interstate. Correct me if I am wrong but, the 5.9 doesn't have all of the emissions as the 6.7? I would be up in the air on which year I would pick up. If it was a 5.9 I would probably get an 06 or 07. If it were a 6.7 probably 08 or 09. I do realize they switched to the 6.7 mid 2007. When I was bone stock I probably got closer to 19.5 on the highway with my Hemi. My wheel/tire combo is heavy and probably lost 1.5 mpg just doing that.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The problem with all the emissions crap on the 6.7 is reducing the life of the components. Pretty much proven getting rid of the DPF in general for any manufacturer increases mileage, power, and just reduces problems you will have with your vehicle.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sorry I am posting quite a bit here but, just trying to get all of the info from you guys that have made the decision already. My truck was equipped with crappy 3.55 gears and open diff. That there is a huge problem. If I keep it I will have to change the gears to probably 4.10s and a lsd in the rear(around 1800 installed). Upgrade the trans(another 2k) for future power(supercharger another 6k). So, I guess what I am saying is do you think it would be easier to get the diesel to where I want it rather than blowing another 10k on my truck. I don't think it has anywhere near enough power for what I want to do with it. Not to mention I want to do aftermarket bumpers and winch for off roading. I know I am giving all the info in pieces here but, I am just laying it out as I think about it. Trying to work through it in my head here.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks again guys. I think the consensus is to stay with the Hemi. This is kind of what I expected. I love my truck so honestly, I may miss it if I got rid of it. I think I may stay with it. I am going to take my truck to the dealer and test drive them just to see what I think back to back. Plus, I will lose the 4k I have stuck in my truck already.

·
Banned
1,446 Posts
I would only consider it if the Cummins was the 5.9.
Jay

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I think I am looking at an 07 with a 5.9 if the guy wants to come off his price a little. So, do you think it is worth trading down 3 years to get the diesel I want?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts