DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everyone has had or seen vehicles with a dozen power wires coming off the battery. With this being a brand new truck I wanted to do the cleanest and best install I could regardless of how long it took me. I Picked up a Smittybilt light bar that just bolts through the front license plate hole. It was cheap, does the job well and does not require drilling which was a requirement for me.

So to avoid multiple power wires off the battery and figuring I'd need more power down the road I picked up a marine fuse block at the local autoparts store. I made a bracket that shares the rad bolt for the relays and applied generous amounts of heatshrink and wire covering.

And for a switch I've always liked the old floor dimmer, it's way easier and faster to get to than a hand switch and it's out of sight. I did this because I'm not a big fan of wiring them into the highbeams as these lights do a way better job for long range and the low beams fill the gap nicely.

That's it in a nutshell. I'm happy with the install, everything is easily reversible and the ground work is laid for any further power needs.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Very nice, I like fuse box idea.

me....

·
Banned
265 Posts
Well done with the wiring. Most people subscribe to the book of hackn'fab and rig some terrible things up. You might want to consider moving those lights up much higher though. Lamps that size are going to have bad parallax problems mounted that low.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. My last truck had the lights positioned in line with the lower half of the grill in that was perfect. I realize this light bar isn't optimal, but mounting through existing holes swayed me. I'm not too interested in cutting and fabbing on a brand new truck. Having said that lining them up was a real PITA.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts