DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Please help if any of you out there have the same problem ...senario.. Cruising down hwy cruise control set at 75 stop for fuel and at the off ramp stop sign making a left attempt to accelerate with my lead foot normal throttle stomp then ..... Have you ever seen Beverly Hill's cop ? Eddy puts a banna in the local LEO'S tail pipe ...car /my truck spudders .....almost throws a backfire... I let loose of throttle, stomp it again.. it repeated the same shit but with a surprise, huge , and embarrassing bluish grey monster cloud of smoke ...and seems to only do this after cruise control has been in use .took trk in for pinion nut recall crap.. told the dumb ass newbie at the service desk at the dealership to figure out what the issue is ..they say they couldn't duplicate what I described and it still does this all the time WTF? Please help... I know I ain't crazy.. any intelligent advice and like senarios please comment ..thanks in advance . smfh

·
Registered
15,529 Posts
never had this issue on our 04 grand cherokee. if this started right after a fill up, i am thinking bad gas, but sounds like you would have caught that. how are the coils?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey hunter green ... Try for the reply as far as I know they are in proper working order I'm only guessing that your jeep is of the 4.7 L version? I need to do a tune up anyway and since the smoke is blue or grey its gonna be oil and water related I'm betting my spark plugs are gonna tell me a lot . what do you think ? :)

·
Registered
120 Posts
Take the service manager for a drive and duplicate the problem, i worked at a dealer for 13 years, you remember the old saying it doesnt do it at the dealer,???, sometimes no matter how hard I tried i couldnt get the customers car to act up, SHOW HIM HOW IT ACTS...then it cant be dismissed if he see it.

·
Registered
15,529 Posts
alabamarama, yes jeep is 4.7. yes your plugs should tell you what is going on in the engine. the one issue that stands out in your original post is that it started after filling up with gas. they didn't slip in E85 did they?

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
alabamarama, yes jeep is 4.7. yes your plugs should tell you what is going on in the engine. the one issue that stands out in your original post is that it started after filling up with gas. they didn't slip in E85 did they?
The newer 4.7 is E85 compatible.

I would be pulling the spark plugs and having a look. Make sure you aren't burning oil for whatever reason. Also do you have any obvious leaks coming from the engine?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The newer 4.7 is E85 compatible.

I would be pulling the spark plugs and having a look. Make sure you aren't burning oil for whatever reason. Also do you have any obvious leaks coming from the engine?
Excuse my late reply .... Yea that's where I'm gonna start I went in to pick up a tune up kit and oil change kit and what not and they didn't even have the plugs so will try another auto parts place tomorrow oh yea update since I posed the question I stoped using the Cruise control and it has yet to happen again . and no have not seen a drop of any fluid under her at all knock on wood .... So idk I will post my findings if any when I do tune up tomorrow then we'll go from ther ty for the help y'all ttyt :wavey:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Take the service manager for a drive and duplicate the problem, i worked at a dealer for 13 years, you remember the old saying it doesnt do it at the dealer,???, sometimes no matter how hard I tried i couldnt get the customers car to act up, SHOW HIM HOW IT ACTS...then it cant be dismissed if he see it.
Lol like hay watch what my dog can do ....then the sob won't do the trick right lol well if my tune up don't help or reveale anything I will consider the option ty

·
Registered
7 Posts
Very similar symptoms on my 4.7

After an extended cruise on the interstate, 40-50 miles at normal speed,I exit the freeway. At the end of the ramp is a traffic light. When it turns green I turn left and start to accelerate. The engine starts to ping and emits a grey/brown cloud of smoke. Tranny downshifts and engine revs up but no power. Problem lasts 5-10 seconds then everything is ok. Has happened in my hometown and out of state, so fuel quality is not the problem. No check engine light on dash.
Dealer can not find any fault codes. Been in to dealer 2-3 times now with no success. Last visit he wanted to change plugs, coils, and drop the fuel tank to inspect for dirt. All to the tune of $3000! Sounds like he wants to throw parts at the problem. I've got a call in to chrysler customer service to see of they have an answer. Zero confidence in local dealership.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts