DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just mounted up my CB last Saturday and I thought I'd share how I did it because I know when I was researching all of the different options out there I appreciated everyone else's posts and creativity; there are some really clever guys out there.

So commercially there were a couple I looked at, there was of course the one from Geno's Garage (sp?), but I couldn't bring myself to spend like $70 shipped on a small bent piece of sheet metal. Beyond that, there really were no mounts specifically for 3rd gen Dodge's that I could find, I mean plenty of generic style things, but nothing custom.

So anyway, without getting too wordy, what I did to make my own was to get a 3' section of 12 gauge stock from my local Lowe's for $6.50. Took some basic measurements, cut, bent, welded, ground and painted it. Tapped out some holes and mounted it up by sandwhiching it under the center seat mount quite solidly. I used the bracket that came with the CB to mount it, and made sure it would clear the center console.

I still have to wire it up, but I'm waiting on my antenna, fuse block, relays and wiring to show up still, but all in all it was a pretty simple home DIY pretty much anyone could do. In the event you don't have a welder, you could probably bolt one together just as easy. Also I trimmed it down once I had it in place, and bent things in a little to tweak i tjust right, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Here's a couple pictures.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Looks good! Your next to last picture answered the question I had about clearance for the fold-down cup holders.

Where are you going to mount your antenna?

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,934 Posts
Nice job and that was my question too, the clearance for the cup holder because that's where I want to mount mine in the same spot as you. Looks like a tight fit but you made it work, very cool! :smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Looks good! Your next to last picture answered the question I had about clearance for the fold-down cup holders.

Where are you going to mount your antenna?
Yeah, when I first mounted it, I had it sticking out too far. Bolted everything back down, installed the seat, put the cb in went to drop the drink tray and .... no love. Had to pull the whole seat assembly back apart to loosen so I could slide it in an inch DOH :LOL:

As for the antenna I got one of these http://www.walcottcb.com/hustler-fg27s-stainless-steel-cb-antenna-p-404.html because it really looks a lot like the factory radio antenna just bigger, and I went with one of those hood mount things. Over the next week or so all that stuff should start showing up so I can take pictures of the install in case anyone is interested in how I wire it up with the accessory relay, etc..

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice job and that was my question too, the clearance for the cup holder because that's where I want to mount mine in the same spot as you. Looks like a tight fit but you made it work, very cool! :smileup:

- Cajun
Thanks :) Yeah it is pretty close, but you can see if you angle the radio a little more there's an extra few mm to work with lol But seriously it doesn't even need to be out that far, I left it that way though so it would be easy to slip my hand in there to access the lever to pull up that center seat cover thing. But since it isn't super stiff, you can actually do it anyway with light pressure, so I might move it in when I open everything back up to route the antenna and power wiring... dunno. :)

As for the location, even unwired I can tell it is a really, really good spot. Just look down and you've got a clear view, and your right hand practically rests right over it anyway, eaaaasy access.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Old thread but some helpful Info here. I was wondering what cb antenna to get.
Had not thought about a fender mount..

·
Premium Member
32,681 Posts
I think that you will have to move the CB up just about an inch
The antenna cable connector comes straight out of the radio & it will be stiff

They do make an 90° adapter for the that i have been thinking about getting, but mine would be for the microphone, not the antenna
My microphone cable comes out the side of my CB, not the front as most do & it rubs against my leg.

This is the antenna adapter, they are sold under several brand names, even Walmart carries them

pl-259

http://www.cheapham.com/roadpro-90-degree-l-connector-pl-259-to-so-239/

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just mounted up my CB last Saturday and I thought I'd share how I did it because I know when I was researching all of the different options out there I appreciated everyone else's posts and creativity; there are some really clever guys out there.

So commercially there were a couple I looked at, there was of course the one from Geno's Garage (sp?), but I couldn't bring myself to spend like $70 shipped on a small bent piece of sheet metal. Beyond that, there really were no mounts specifically for 3rd gen Dodge's that I could find, I mean plenty of generic style things, but nothing custom.

So anyway, without getting too wordy, what I did to make my own was to get a 3' section of 12 gauge stock from my local Lowe's for $6.50. Took some basic measurements, cut, bent, welded, ground and painted it. Tapped out some holes and mounted it up by sandwhiching it under the center seat mount quite solidly. I used the bracket that came with the CB to mount it, and made sure it would clear the center console.

I still have to wire it up, but I'm waiting on my antenna, fuse block, relays and wiring to show up still, but all in all it was a pretty simple home DIY pretty much anyone could do. In the event you don't have a welder, you could probably bolt one together just as easy. Also I trimmed it down once I had it in place, and bent things in a little to tweak i tjust right, but I'm really happy with the way it turned out.

Here's a couple pictures.

How would you bolt together the mount to your truck? I have a 2011 Dodge Ram 1500 and am trying to do that right now.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts