DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally got the courage to take a can of dip to my 2 month old truck. Its kinda scary just taping off a square and painting it black, but it worked just as promised. But I wasn't entirely happy with the results:

So I grabbed a razor and trimmed the letters. Now i'm very happy with the results:

Next up is the front cross, antenna, and the slots in the rims.

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,683 Posts
Nice job on your badges, looks good! :smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
972 Posts
I like the 2 tone that you did with the black over the chrome. Nice job!

How many coats did you spray?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I like the 2 tone that you did with the black over the chrome. Nice job!

How many coats did you spray?
I used 4 fairly heavy coats, about 3/4 of a can across all three. Once it was peeled around the badges I took a razor and traced the lines. It was pretty easy, just painstakingly slow trying to make sure I didn't mess up. Every time I felt the razor start to grab a little I switched to a fresh one.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Holy cow that took a steady hand! Nice job!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Awesome! Defiantly doing this then will looks awesome on mine cause its an all black truck and I'm going for the all black "murdered" out look but leaving the rims chrome and sidesteps chrome as well

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
looks great dude...have you thought about peeling the black pillar tape off the doors ?

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am looking to do the same thing to my truck which is all black. Did you just tape everything off and spray the 4 coats on without worrying about the holes or spaces in the badges? What did you do about the plastic that got through to the body? You said that you used a razor, but I wouldn't imagine that on the body of the truck. Also, have you done your antennae yet? I was just wondering if it had any effect on the FM radio? Thanks man! The truck looks BA by the way nice work!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

looks great dude...have you thought about peeling the black pillar tape off the doors ?
I have considered it but I'm still back and forth. And since its much harder to put it back I'm gonna wait on.

I am looking to do the same thing to my truck which is all black. Did you just tape everything off and spray the 4 coats on without worrying about the holes or spaces in the badges? What did you do about the plastic that got through to the body? You said that you used a razor, but I wouldn't imagine that on the body of the truck. Also, have you done your antennae yet? I was just wondering if it had any effect on the FM radio? Thanks man! The truck looks BA by the way nice work!
Here's a quick list of steps on how I did it. (I used the rattle can kind, $6 at Home Depot in the spray paint section)

1: tape off a square around the badges

2: spray 4 coat about 10 minutes between coats (each coat I made sure to spray from every direction to evenly coat it.)

3: once it drys (about 10-15 minutes after the last coat) I peeled the extra off from around the badges. I pulled what was left on the inside of the letter with a toothpick. It basically cuts itself around the badges.

4: I took a razor and traced the groove. Slow and steady the pace.

5: the edges should peel right off leaving the black in the center.

I did get the antenna done, the fm seems to work just fine. But I never really used it in the past because I've been using the free SXM while I have it.

I've got the cross on the front of the grill dipped as well. I'll post pics as soon as I can. It's been raining lately so I haven't had a chance to clean her up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I have considered it but I'm still back and forth. And since its much harder to put it back I'm gonna wait on.

Here's a quick list of steps on how I did it. (I used the rattle can kind, $6 at Home Depot in the spray paint section)

1: tape off a square around the badges

2: spray 4 coat about 10 minutes between coats (each coat I made sure to spray from every direction to evenly coat it.)

3: once it drys (about 10-15 minutes after the last coat) I peeled the extra off from around the badges. I pulled what was left on the inside of the letter with a toothpick. It basically cuts itself around the badges.

4: I took a razor and traced the groove. Slow and steady the pace.

5: the edges should peel right off leaving the black in the center.

I did get the antenna done, the fm seems to work just fine. But I never really used it in the past because I've been using the free SXM while I have it.

I've got the cross on the front of the grill dipped as well. I'll post pics as soon as I can. It's been raining lately so I haven't had a chance to clean her up.
Looks great and I think I know how I am going to black out my badges now on my white ram. Thanks!

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Looks great and I think I know how I am going to black out my badges now on my white ram. Thanks!
Excellent idea. If you want/need, I can show you pics of how I did mine.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts