DODGE RAM FORUM banner

my brake lights arent working

901 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cruellaDEkilo 
#1 ·
I just bought this truck 2012 ram 1500, and we just suffered thru harvey. lots of flooded vehicles everywhere. well the fluids looked good when i bought it but when the brakes lights weren't working i checked the actual assembly at the back of truck and it was half full of water! well the top third brake light is currently working, the tail lights work, the blinkers work, but not the back side brake lights. from what i can tell they replaced the button underneath the brake pedal already, so i am guessing that is not the culprit. the fuses all look good but the cruise control function does not work and the windshield wipers only go one speed not to mention they wont automatically lay down i gotta catch them when they are at the bottom of the windshield. so maybe someone else can make sense out of this. but then again electrical stuff and water never make any sense !!! :budo:

#2 ·
Sounds like it might be a wire or connector problem. There have been a few issues with connectors that are not connected or sealed properly and got wet causing problems.

Was the truck submerged in any water? It is unusual for the brake lights to be filled with water. Check the rear differential fluid to make sure no water got in there, if you have a 4x4 check the front transfer assembly fluid also.

#3 ·
Last night I went to auto zone and purchase another brakelight switch even tho I assumed the car lot I bought the truck from replaced it because there was another one in the console when we bought it. I changed it last night so I wasn't able to check to see if my brake lights were working because I was alone. Any tricks for Doing that? Besides backing up to a window at a shopping center? I'll check them
Today and then if the switch didn't fix it I'll check the wires. My hubby said if the turn signals and the tail lights are working it can't be anything but the switch is that true?

#6 ·
Check out the fuses in the TIPM in front of the battery, I think there are 2 fuses listed under the cover for the tails and possible a relay. Not totally sure about this but doesn't hurt to check.

I tried searching here for a brake schematic but could locate one on here. The wire in the picture is not the problem. It was posted on here before but can't remember what it was for

#8 ·
Thank you for the info. I really appreCiate it. I am at a total loss. I have no idea how to get these brake lights working. I'm almost positive the entire tipm was submerged in water at sum time or another. And it's probably about to go out on me. Anybody know how I could go about getting a replacement for it at a reasonable price? TBH I may have to attack the dealer where I got the truck for selling me a flooded vehicle without disclosing it. I don't really know how to approach the situation tho.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.