DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Haven't posted in a good while so first I'd like to say 'hello' to everyone. Raced a friends Supercharged Tundra and lost by about 3 truck lengths (meaning two truck lengths in between us). He has 4.10 gears (I have 3.92's) and he launched in low gear four wheel drive. He pulled three car lengths from the start and stayed that way until we let off around 85 mph.I thought I would loose by around five lengths but pull him out the hole wow I very surprised at him pulling me. I didn't want to race him knowing it would give me a loss but he kept calling me a chicken, lol. Well I wish I would have been a chicken because my loss was hard to swallow. I knew sooner or later this was bound to happen and I would post it so there it is. Hope you guys have a great 2018 Year!

·
Registered
986 Posts
That doesn't sound too bad considering you said he was supercharged right.He's probably making 500 HP. Seems pretty respectable to me.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm in the last phase of building a dock for this guy who I met through doing jobs for a friend/his neighbor.
The discussion started with him telling me he had the fastest factory production truck on the road. And that didn't sit well with me. I didn't know his truck was supercharged untill we agreed to race.
I didn't know the SC Tundras were considered factory stock though I did know they made some. So he deliberated. He didn't admit to me it was until I told him the only way he would beat me is if he had one. When he did I decline to race him until he.kept calling me chicken.
I finally told him I would but he'd prolly beat me by at least 5 lengths.
Yes it's supercharged and I saw it under the hood and a very small emblem under normal fender badge.
I still don't think it should be considered factory because it's not on the build sheet he showed me. He said he ordeeed it new with it but yet it doesn't mention it on the build sheet.
He is a wealthy business owner and the truck fully loaded with a sticker price of 49,700.
Does anyone know if this is considered factory?
I have always known that Toyota installs them but I never knew they were consider factory stock. Which BTW I beaten several of easily. He says Toyota gave him a 100 k warranty with the SC install.
He has a loaded Toyo SUV for his wife as well.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
I'm in the last phase of building a dock for this guy who I met through doing jobs for a friend/his neighbor.
The discussion started with him telling me he had the fastest factory production truck on the road. And that didn't sit well with me. I didn't know his truck was supercharged untill we agreed to race.
I didn't know the SC Tundras were considered factory stock though I did know they made some. So he deliberated. He didn't admit to me it was until I told him the only way he would beat me is if he had one. When he did I decline to race him until he.kept calling me chicken.
I finally told him I would but he'd prolly beat me by at least 5 lengths.
Yes it's supercharged and I saw it under the hood and a very small emblem under normal fender badge.
I still don't think it should be considered factory because it's not on the build sheet he showed me. He said he ordeeed it new with it but yet it doesn't mention it on the build sheet.
He is a wealthy business owner and the truck fully loaded with a sticker price of 49,700.
Does anyone know if this is considered factory?
I have always known that Toyota installs them but I never knew they were consider factory stock. Which BTW I beaten several of easily. He says Toyota gave him a 100 k warranty with the SC install.
He has a loaded Toyo SUV for his wife as well.
You cannot, and never could, order a Tundra with a Supercharger. TRD sold it as a dealer installed accessory (not sure if they still do or not), that could be added at the dealer and would include a warranty-since most companies would void yours for throwing a blower on your truck.

So it would be like if Mopar sold a supercharger kit and the dealer installed it for you when you took delivery. I don't consider that stock-just like it wouldn't be stock if you installed one of Mopar's 426 cube gen III crate Hemis in your truck or a Hellcat crate.

Just because its offered by the parent brand's performance and accessories company doesn't make it stock.

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
You cannot, and never could, order a Tundra with a Supercharger. TRD sold it as a dealer installed accessory (not sure if they still do or not), that could be added at the dealer and would include a warranty-since most companies would void yours for throwing a blower on your truck.

So it would be like if Mopar sold a supercharger kit and the dealer installed it for you when you took delivery. I don't consider that stock-just like it wouldn't be stock if you installed one of Mopar's 426 cube gen III crate Hemis in your truck or a Hellcat crate.

Just because its offered by the parent brand's performance and accessories company doesn't make it stock.
Yeah no. That tundra was not in any way stock, the fastest truck ever made IS the 2005 SRT-10. Period.

Thunderhorse's logic is 100% accurate

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info guys. I'm going to get more info about his truck tomorrow . I agree with both of you . Also my guess is if it were factory it would be on his build sheet. Thanks

·
Registered
998 Posts
If you can’t handle losing any better than that, you should give up racing, because someone is always faster. Losing is part of racing, unless you just pick easy opponents, which some of your statements make it sound like you won’t race if it’s not a sure win. Let’s face it, they’re stock trucks. Neither are fast.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
If you can’t handle losing any better than that, you should give up racing, because someone is always faster. Losing is part of racing, unless you just pick easy opponents, which some of your statements make it sound like you won’t race if it’s not a sure win. Let’s face it, they’re stock trucks. Neither are fast.
Guy says he has a stock truck, you race, he ends up being supercharged...and it makes you a sore loser because of that? Sounds kinda chicken **** on the part of the Yota owner if you ask me

·
Registered
998 Posts
Guy says he has a stock truck, you race, he ends up being supercharged...and it makes you a sore loser because of that? Sounds kinda chicken **** on the part of the Yota owner if you ask me
Sounds like racing to me. I outran a guy at the track, who had a ‘03 cobra with a 4.3L whipple, on e85. The car made close to 1000hp. Next week he challenged me to a rematch, and freight trained me at half track and beat me by almost .5. Turns out, he adds nitrous to it too. That’s just the way racing goes. In racing, you never show your hand.

So Demon doesn’t come with the more aggressive ECM in it, and it has to be installed because it comes in the crate. I guess that means it won’t run 9s stock? A dealer installed option that doesn’t void any warranty seems pretty stock to a lot of people.

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
Sounds like racing to me. I outran a guy at the track, who had a ‘03 cobra with a 4.3L whipple, on e85. The car made close to 1000hp. Next week he challenged me to a rematch, and freight trained me at half track and beat me by almost .5. Turns out, he adds nitrous to it too. That’s just the way racing goes. In racing, you never show your hand.

So Demon doesn’t come with the more aggressive ECM in it, and it has to be installed because it comes in the crate. I guess that means it won’t run 9s stock? A dealer installed option that doesn’t void any warranty seems pretty stock to a lot of people.
The Demon PCM is a factory option, not a dealer option. Like a spare tire (also a factory option on many cars now), it just doesn't come installed, but is easy to do in seconds

I understand not showing your hand, but telling a guy you're stock when you aren't is not the same as not disclosing that stuff. Either way there's nothing about this thread that would make the OP a sore loser

·
Registered
998 Posts
The Demon PCM is a factory option, not a dealer option. Like a spare tire (also a factory option on many cars now), it just doesn't come installed, but is easy to do in seconds

I understand not showing your hand, but telling a guy you're stock when you aren't is not the same as not disclosing that stuff. Either way there's nothing about this thread that would make the OP a sore loser
So you drive in to a dealer, buy a brand new truck off the lot, and never do a thing to it. Yep, that’s stock. No less stock than a Demon.

Even if it wasn’t stock, and he told him it was, that’s just racing. That’s no different than the guy not telling me he added nitrous. When people come start asking me about my car, wanting to race, the answer they get is always “well it’s just a small block, with a hydraulic roller, on pump gas,” which is all true. It’s just not the whole truth ;)

·
Super Moderator
34,695 Posts
So you drive in to a dealer, buy a brand new truck off the lot, and never do a thing to it. Yep, that’s stock. No less stock than a Demon.

Even if it wasn’t stock, and he told him it was, that’s just racing. That’s no different than the guy not telling me he added nitrous. When people come start asking me about my car, wanting to race, the answer they get is always “well it’s just a small block, with a hydraulic roller, on pump gas,” which is all true. It’s just not the whole truth ;)
But you don't, you drive into the dealer, buy a truck, drive over to the service department, pay for the blower and install and pick it up after a few days.

You're right; you said he should give up racing:i_rolleyes:

·
Registered
998 Posts
But you don't, you drive into the dealer, buy a truck, drive over to the service department, pay for the blower and install and pick it up after a few days.

You're right; you said he should give up racing:i_rolleyes:
I looked at those supercharged trucks, and the ones I saw were sitting on the lot, brand new, ready to go. No wait.....sign the papers and drive away, just like I did with my truck. When you read the motor trend article, they rated it as a stock vehicle. In fact, they called it the quickest stock truck ever.

If he can't take losing, he should indeed give up racing. I've lost lots of races, in competition, with actual money on the line. It usually ends with a laugh, a handshake, and a "I'll get you next time." You can't win the, all.......

1 - 15 of 15 Posts