DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001, Dodge, Ram 1500 5.9 Off-road Sport
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I bought a 2001 Ram 1500, 5.9 Sport with Off-road package from a relative and it will be paid off in a few months. I’d like to do a little work to it, size up the wheels, redo the clear coat, but other than that I’m not sure what I can do other than cosmetics! It has a K&N intake, Gibson exhaust and is on 17” rims currently. It’s an awesome truck, even has the towing package. 66k miles and little rust from what I see. Hope you guys can guide me with this project (y)

·
Registered
612 Posts
Great looking low mileage old truck! I've always been a fan of those, ever since they first came out. I'd stick with those tires at least until they wear out. Ko2's are great tires. I think the first thing I'd do is refurbish those dull headlights. Or replace them entirely. They really bring down the looks of the truck, and will affect your visibility at night. I'd do the same with the fogs. You can also refurbish tail lights if needed. Anyway, congrats on your new (to you) truck!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
^^^ If you change tire sizes you will lower your fuel mileage and it also plays havoc with suspension components.

·
Registered
612 Posts
^^^ If you change tire sizes you will lower your fuel mileage and it also plays havoc with suspension components.
So as of now what might be the best practice for this?

Regards,
T. Smith
Changing tire size won't impact suspension components at all unless you go so big or change the wheel offset enough that will cause the tires to rub on the chassis, suspension, or body. That's when you'll need to consider options such as lifting, which will affect suspension components. There is a lot to learn about adding a lift, and other general information about your truck, that researching on your own would benefit you. It's too much info for what's basically an introduction thread. Take some time to search this and other Ram forums, paying special attention to 2nd gen Dodge Rams like yours.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts