DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
Been on the forum for awhile to keep up on stuff for my truck. I thought i would share my recent hemi tick story.

2014 1500 Crew Sport
Truck developed a start up tick while still pretty new but I knew it was somewhat common so I tried to ignore it. I liked the truck. After I reached 100k the noise had gotten louder and was no longer going away after warm up. I could hear multiple ticks and I recognized a bit of exhaust tick as well as lifter noise. I brought it in and they found multiple exhaust studs broken. Fixed under warranty. I get it back and drive it for awhile, but noticed the lifter tick is now all the time and quite loud. A bit of a miss as well, but no CEL. Brought the truck back and the dealer agrees its a lifter tick and not normal. Truck has 118k. Lifters are on national backorder and it'll take awhile to get them says the service advisor. The dealer had my truck for 2 months while I waited for the parts to arrive. I felt like I was on a kidney transplant list! (no offense to anyone who is actually on a kidney transplant list) I had the cam, lifters and all associated parts replaced in addition to a laundry list of other smaller issues. A $4k bill.

My silver lining?

I stepped up and bought the Chrysler Maxcare lifetime warranty-unlimited miles when I bought the truck new. I don't usually buy extended warranties as I do most of my own work. I liked the 8 speed but worried about how expensive it would be to replace when the time came. My last Ram I sold after 270K so I like to keep them a while and had a feeling the warranty would be a good idea this time. Original warranty cost me over $2k like many have stated. I've had warranty work totaling near $6k all after 100k. The warranty also covered the 2018 Ram Big Horn crew rental I used for those 2 months.

The lesson or at least my opinion? If you don't put a lot of miles on your truck and/or get something else before you hit 100k I wouldn't be worried about an extended warranty. If you're like me and drive a lot for work and keep a truck deep into the 200k's then that warranty will pay for itself eventually.

Still love my truck. I don't know I could say that if I would have had to do all that work myself. I can do it but would rather not.

The lifters are an issue with Chrysler. Ford and GM have their own issues. The grass is not greener in another brand truck. Protect yourself with a warranty.

BTW-FCA and my dealer were very good with communication and I'm happy with the job they did. My dealer was John Hirsch's Cambridge Motors in Cambridge, MN.

Looking forward to the next 100k........Eric

·
Registered
3,264 Posts
I agree. The Ram is still my favorite truck on the market and I'll deal with the quirks and ticks. I will say that the hemi likes the full synthetic oil much better than conventional and quiets the tick down considerably.

I also got the Maxcare warranty and although I'm only at 47,000 miles, I know it's going to pay for itself, it's a truck that does work, so it's inevitable that something will break, and I'm okay with that for $100 a pop.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Great story and great example of the usefulness of MaxCare (and who else lets you buy an actual lifetime warranty for a vehicle?)

I would go a bit further and say if you DONT drive your truck a lot, its a good reason to look at an extended warranty. Why? Because miles on mechanical parts are more important than time. Your cam/lifters wont wipe themselves just sitting in your driveway, but what if it takes you 8 years to get to 60K+ miles? Thats the position Im in...my RAM is my secondary vehicle, my commute is way short (3 miles one way), etc. I keep my stuff for a very long time, so by the time I get out of the powertrain warranty, my truck *might* have 30K miles (probably not)

I went with MaxCare Lifetime, 100.00 deductible. Purchased it back in March and Im "over" the money I spent on it. Now I know 10+ years from now if (when) my cam and lifters need replacing, it *should* be covered (assuming FCA still exists....)

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,245 Posts
Protect yourself with a warranty.

........Eric
Thanks for taking the time to share your story, Eric. I couldn't agree more with the snip I took from your post. I bought the Maxcare warranty this time around when I bought my 2017. I dealt with broken manifold bolts on my 09' Hemi (Chrysler Aspen). My 15' Hemi Ram had a lil bit of a tick when it was brand new but was otherwise quiet for the 47k miles I owned it. My 17' Hemi makes a lil bit of racket at times when starting it up, but it only has 6k miles, so I'm hoping it too will quiet down eventually. I don't drive it often, and at the same time have that piece of mind knowing I have the Maxcare warranty.

And yes, here's to another 100k miles on your truck! :beerchug: I'm glad to hear otherwise you've been happy with your truck.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,642 Posts
A few questions if you don't mind since you've been so kind to share details of your issues.

Do you know or can you ask what specific cylinders had damaged lifters/cam lobes?

What oil have you used throughout the life of this truck? Average interval between changes? Filter?

What is your driving style? Do you let the 5.7 rev near redline occasionally or tow/haul often?

Does the truck idle often(there is an hours indicator on the EVIC) especially at operating temp? I see you're in Minnesota, how long do you typically let it cold idle before driving?

Thanks in advance, all of this data may lead us to a resolution as FCA is hiding under the table while consumers lose over $4k USD to repair a common failure. Out of warranty or not, it is substantial downtime and extremely costly on $30-70K initial investment to provide safe transportation.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
I'll answer as much as I can.

Do you know or can you ask what specific cylinders had damaged lifters/cam lobes? Drivers side #3.

What oil have you used throughout the life of this truck? Average interval between changes? Filter? I did switch around trying to lessen the tick but always synthetic (mostly Mobil 1) Filters ranged from WIX to Mopar to Mobil 1. Changed when the oil monitor said to. .

What is your driving style? Do you let the 5.7 rev near redline occasionally or tow/haul often? Occasional towing. Plenty of full throttle but not beating on it.

Does the truck idle often(there is an hours indicator on the EVIC) especially at operating temp? I see you're in Minnesota, how long do you typically let it cold idle before driving? Not a lot of idling

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
The lifters are an issue with Chrysler. Ford and GM have their own issues. The grass is not greener in another brand truck. Protect yourself with a warranty.

This is absolutely true. The more I read on lifter failures the more I have found that the exact same issue of lifters rounding off cam lobes is common on the Chevy 5.3s. Then there are the Ford engines with timing chain issues and the turboed ones with those plus other problems. I would much rather have my lifters eat my cam than shoot a valve into a piston if given the choice.

We do have a thread that tracks this, I would ask that you please post in there to make sure you are counted:

https://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=188978

Maybe this will be a recall-loss of power on the highway is absolutely a safety issue. After all, the tailgate opening issue just got its own recall.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys,

Just an update on my lifter story.

The truck has been trouble free and the motor has no odd noises. Sounds exactly like a healthy motor should. Whatever updated lifters they used are working well. Still running Mobil 1 and went with a mopar filter this time.

I'm planning to keep this truck until the Maxcare Lifetime warranty runs out.

Eric

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,450 Posts
Hi guys,

Just an update on my lifter story.

The truck has been trouble free and the motor has no odd noises. Sounds exactly like a healthy motor should. Whatever updated lifters they used are working well. Still running Mobil 1 and went with a mopar filter this time.

I'm planning to keep this truck until the Maxcare Lifetime warranty runs out.

Eric
Good to know. Thanks for the update.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts