DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may not seem impressive to some of you folks who think a Silverado SS is outdated, but I raced and beat a Silverado SS twice tonight. I have raced him a few months ago before I started modding my truck and he beat me pretty bad. He runs a 9.56 1/8 mile where I live, and he can beat stock Tundras. He has an intake, and straight pipe exhaust with turn downs. My mods are listed in my sig.

So, after modding my truck and learning to launch it with the help of some forum members who told me not to stall it, I can now beat him by about 4 truck lengths. I beat him even in launching, which really impressed me considering he has AWD and my posy was spinning! The power these trucks put to the ground is amazing :D

I let the truck shift by itself, and I forgot to turn the traction control off and the tow/haul mode on. So I still have a few tricks up my sleeve in case he mods his SS more and wants to race again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those SS trucks are tricky, and easy to underestimate since they only have 345 HP. But with 4:10 gears and AWD, they are actually pretty fast.

He seemed surprised that I beat him this time, but he was cool about it. He said he loved my exhaust sound at high RPMs! :smileup:

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Sweet! And wow you really jumped on the mod wagon, I think it was just about a month ago or so you didn't have the intake or exhaust? unless that was someone else...lol

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, I started with an intake, and then an exhaust, and today I just picked up a 180 t stat. I'm not sure how far I'm gonna go with modding, but a supercharger in the future is a possibility :D

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
Cool, your truck is pretty slick!

Supercharger would be really cool. I've always been a nitrous fan for track vehicles :) Real cheap, easy horsepower.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
He texted me later and said that for some reason his truck didn't launch good :LOL: after that he added it probably just felt that way cause mine was so good :D

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^LOL

I love it when people have fun with this stuff. My friend has a 2011 RT, and we raced from a roll (maybe 35mph or so) and my truck downshifted to 1st (3.55's) and his didn't (4.10's), and we were neck and neck for a short distance, then we both let off, so now I always tell him his RT Hemi is about as fast as a quad cab 287...he gets pretty fired up haha. And I told him we will never race again...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^ that right there is funny! :) I will race you though. Bring it on! Next time, try putting your tow/haul mode on, and it'll stay in lower gears, higher RPMs, and the shifting will be firmer. I wish I had remembered to turn mine on when I raced the SS. I wish I could replace the tow/haul button with a haul/ass button :D

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
haha that would be really funny to have the button say that.

We only raced from like 35mph to 60mph, so I was in first gear the whole time, and he was at low rpm, so I had the advantage. As far as racing you, I'll tell you the same thing I told him, my racing days are over, so we just have to go by the test results that we have, my quad cab 287 is as fast as a RT hemi....lol

In all seriousness I plan on making alot of modifications to my truck in the hope to be in the 14 second range. But this will probably be over the next year or maybe two years...

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Good Deal!!!
Had a SS owner compliment my truck at the store once. I returned the compliment as they do look good. His was lowered with traction devices and slotted/drilled rotors. Looked mighty fine.
This dude had his lowered too. It's a nice looking truck...from a distance. The body and interior is crap, and the ride quality is crap. It's also insanely loud. I think he overpaid too..he paid $14,000 for it a few months ago!

By the way Kay9, you have got an awesome truck! :smileup:

·
Registered
154 Posts
If that SS felt good, wait till you take down a 6.2L GM. I raced my friend's 2010 ext. cab 4x4 with 3.73's and we were even when I got my R/T. He got a programmer before me but my truck was still getting broke in and I would win or he would, never by alot. As soon as I got my Trinity it was game over, beat him bad like 3 times and never raced again.

He says, "We know how fast we are compared to each other, so no reason to race." and it's kind of sad because no one else will race me BUT they'll say we raced and they won or I barely outran them... Be careful if you have people with 5.3L GM's around, like to talk alot of crap but never want to do anything about it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice kill! I would love to race a 6.2! The SS guy is desperately trying to tune his truck now :LOL: he said something about EFI Live tuning, claimed it'd give him half a second less in the 1/8th and then he'd beat me!

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
he said something about EFI Live tuning, claimed it'd give him half a second less in the 1/8th and then he'd beat me!
He probably could gain alot (dunno about 1/2 second) with proper tuning (assuming it's stock now). But you'd probably gain that with a canned tune on your truck.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.