DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon startup one (to leave for a restaurant) it puffed a bunch of blue smoke. Upon startup two it didn't, when I put my foot into it a little it still did not. Although when checking there was a black oil like substance that came off on my finger from the inside of the exhaust pipe. Now we were told that it could possibly be the early stages of oil pressure seals rupturing? But could it be worse? Or is it something small? No codes are on the dash. Also pressure is running at 360kpa? Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
Take it to a qualified mechanic. I doubt there is much to worry about, here.

Dave

·
Registered
262 Posts
Upon startup one (to leave for a restaurant) it puffed a bunch of blue smoke. Upon startup two it didn't, when I put my foot into it a little it still did not. Although when checking there was a black oil like substance that came off on my finger from the inside of the exhaust pipe. Now we were told that it could possibly be the early stages of oil pressure seals rupturing? But could it be worse? Or is it something small? No codes are on the dash. Also pressure is running at 360kpa? Is this normal?
Bad PCV valve?

·
Registered
336 Posts
How many miles?

These days there are a number of things that can cause blue smoke out the exhaust, at engine start-up. In the old days, it was a possible sign of worn valve guide seals.

Ram has a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty...take it to the dealer.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Mine did the very same thing. I took mine to the dealer and they drove it and checked it over. They told me to start using 89 octane or better and believe it or not it hasnt done it since I switched over to a higher octane.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
It might be just be giving it a little extra fuel on start up, running rich then leans out. Probably nothing to worry about but keep an eye on it could be an air/fuel sensor or something slow to react.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Blue smoke on startup, after it has set for a bit, I would say valve guide seals. The seals let a small amount of oil get by them, onto the valve, that gets burned off when the engine is started. It needs to set for a long enough time for the oil to run down past the seals. If you turn the engine off, and start it 5 minutes later, it probably won't smoke. That is what I've seen in my experience.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Blue smoke on startup, after it has set for a bit, I would say valve guide seals. The seals let a small amount of oil get by them, onto the valve, that gets burned off when the engine is started. It needs to set for a long enough time for the oil to run down past the seals. If you turn the engine off, and start it 5 minutes later, it probably won't smoke. That is what I've seen in my experience.
Yep...exactly what mine does. I've only noticed it on mine after it has sat over night and I never drove it the afternoon prior. Never notice it if I start it up again an hour or two after I've been driving.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts