DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On march 16, 2012 I purchased a new 2012 Ram 1500 4x4 Longhorn, every option Except the ram box. I spent a full day test driveing a ford F-150 5.0L Lariat, a chevy 1500 LTZ 5.3, and this dodge before purchasing.

As I am assumeing this will be a long post I will try to stick to the details and simply point out my conclusions, I love the truck so if my conclusions seem harsh it is simply me trying to get to the point.

I am from Alberta Canada but I will try to use miles and US Gallons (equal to 3.78 Liters) as most of the people on here are our friends from the south.

I am an outside sales rep and over the last 7 years have averaged about 50'000-60'000 miles per year on my vehicles.

Before this I owned a 2008 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel 6.4L, 4x4, 4 door, Short box.
The engine failed due to an injector issue at 140'000 miles, of course far out of warranty.
Before that was a Loaded Audi A4 Quattro, then a Loaded VW Jetta Diesel, A Loaded nissan Pathfinder, and my long term lover a 2001 Dodge ram 2500 Ext Cab Gas 4x4, loaded 2 door sebring, and an Acura integra.

On top of that I have had many company vehicles as well, usually chev 1500 trucks or ford f-150's.

The reason I say this is because I have quite a bit of expeirance with many different vehicles and I spend ALOT of time in them. (my truck that I purchased a week ago now has almost 1500 miles on it) This, in my opinion, gives me a lot of expierance with which to compare the different truck setups.

Now that I gave my history, on to the good stuff:

- New truck is very comfortable, VERY quiet, and a joy to drive.
- So far mileage is around 14-15 miles per gallon, not near as good as the dealer said but I am hoping with time it will improve, and to be honest this is what all my other trucks got so I am already satisfied.
- Love the longhorn leather, and seats are very comfortable.
- Phone through bluetooth is the best of the big three (Ford, Chev, Dodge) Seems to have the best noise reduction, and is very easy to use.
- nice big and comfortable back seats in the crew.
- seams to have plenty of power to haul big trailers
- steering wheel controlls are well laid out
- Great idea on the rear floor storage.
- Truck rides very smooth and nice (only when unloaded)
- 20 gold forged aluminum rims look amazeing
- Beautiful looking truck!

And the weird / not so good:
- Nav system is terrible for this quality of truck (730n).
- Sound system (alpine) is good but not as good as Fords Upgraded sound system.
- The day to day layout and common menus of the 730n seem the same as on the Kenwood Exellon double din touch screen that I put in my Nissan Pathfinder from 2004. Wish they would have spent some time upgrading the software and made it a little nicer and more user friendly in the last 8 years...
- Why is first gear so tall and all the other gears so close together, has to be the worst gear layout in a transmission that I have EVER come across.
- Traction controll is not very good and seems like I can not turn off the engine torque management even with the button off.
- 20" passenger tires on a truck rated to haul 10'000lbs... really??? LT tires should have come standard with the Towing setup, or at least been an option.
- There should have been an optional heavier coil in the back for the towing setup, installing air lift 1000's this weekend to correct this problem.
- MDS - great idea! thankfully i got the 3.92 rear end as I can only assume the guys with the 3.55 must not go into 4 cyclinder mode as often. I wish it would not wait to be in 5th or 6th gear at 1200rpm to go into eco mode, in my mind this is simply too low for a 4 cyclinder to develop the needed power. Just seems like the software could be polished a bit OR put a button that engages 4 cyclinder mode full time and it will stay there unless you go past say 40% throttle or into an idle situation?!? I find it only usefull between 50-60 MPH and then again between 72-80 mph when the rpm's get high enought to generate enough power to overcome the added drag at higher speeds. Between 60-70MPH it is reving to low to allow the 4 cyclinder mode to generate useful power and i can not get the 4 cyclinder to work when I manually set it to 5th gear.
- Backup camera image quality is not the best, but sure is a great feature! The camera is aimed perfectly though!
- Both ford and Chev have power folding side mirrors for the big towing mirrors, for those of us who park in the garage this is a sorly missed feature.
- My brand new engine has a lifter tick...seriously...

Now to end with a question, my build sheet indcates my truck came with the 32 Gal fuel tank. I have yet to get more then 24 gallons in it. I drove it till it said 30 miles to empty... Did they install the 26 gallon tank by mistake. Also when the pump shuts off, even if I leave it for a minute, I can only put another $0.30 in before it over flows. OR did they not program my computer correctly for the bigger tank so it thinks it`s empty when it really has another 8 gallons in it.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I noticed you didnt say anything about the headlights. Whats your thought on those? I just drove my new CC 1500 Express last night in the dark for the first time and while the dims with the fogs on is pretty good the high beams suck. My 2009 ram had awesome headlights, it seems they have went backwords in this area.

·
Registered
12,860 Posts
Your report on the 12 is very similar to my findings with my 11 Sport. I'm also a sales rep and have put 38,000 km's on the truck and I haven't had her for a year. My mileage did take a decent jump once I hit about 15,000km. Summer time I'm averaging a good 19 mpg and the odd long run I've been over 20 mpg.
The MDS is a great idea but I've now had 3 different computer flashes to improve MDS function and at times it still doesn't respond the way I think it should but I've learned to live with it and accepted that this is just how the truck drives.
I also have the 32 gallon fuel tank and the most I've ever dumped into her for fuel is 110 litres with 18 kms DTE on the EVIC. I've never run her any lower as I really don't want to run it totally dry trying to find the bottom of the tank.
You are not the first person to not like the 730N navigation, I have the 430N with Garmin nav and it's not bad. Just wish they would have included map updates.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I do agree on the headlights, however that didn't make my list as i thought it was already long enough.

Stump3r - I am very glad to hear that the mileagle imporves, I will look forward to it. What kind of sales are you doing, I work for a comercial truck dealership (semi truck) so thats why I can't use a car, everything is steel and heavey.

From reading the other reviews I see most of my concerns are fairly common as well... hopefully Dodge TAKES THESE HINTS. They are such small and easily correctable issues on such a great truck.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
I also found out the hard way to not force any more gas in when the pump stops the first time.

It seems like the gas gauge is very conservative. Which is good to know so you have a little wiggle room after the DTE value goes to 0. I've had some Nissan's that were the same. I could drive 100 hwy kms after the DTE went to 0 (or * for you prior Nissan owners).

I have not heard a lifter tick so far. I have yet to change the oil for the first time.

MDS is a great idea but you can't expect too much in the area of throttle response when it is on (or when you are in 5 or 6 for that matter). I like to drive in Tow/Haul mode if I really want to boot around and feel the TQ of the Hemi. Once a tuner is available I'm sure the options will be endless to improve your driving pleasure, if you so choose.

I agree the tranny isn't the greatest. It's hard to find a good automatic transmission I think. Tow/Haul mode helps ;-).

·
Registered
22,788 Posts
Torque Management - You can NOT turn this off. It is always there to reduce power in first gear to reduce the chances of breaking parts. The traction control button allows you to reduce the affects of the computer program that 'helps' you keep the vehicle under control. If there was a way to totally eliminate this, there would be thousands of members like myself that would have done this. It is the unfortunate result of government legislation to protect us, so any further comment on this topic will bring out my cynical and sarcastic side. I will stop here. :)

The tick is normal, and IMO the sign of a healthy Hemi. In all the cases where I have heard others claim that they don't have the Hemi tick, I have discovered they have gotten so used to it that they don't notice it any more, or they just never noticed it to begin with. :4-dontknow:

The fuel gauge is designed to display 'empty' with about 3-5gal(US) of fuel left in the tank. The fuel pump relies on the gasoline for cooling, so it is designed to prompt you to refill the tank before the pump looses cooling. The 32 gal tank equates to 121L. If you run it til the EVIC shows 0km to empty, you will likely only get about 110L in it. Although you can drive a long distance after the fuel gauge shows empty, it is not advisable for pump cooling reasons. When I first got my truck, it would normally take 90-100L to fill from the 50km to empty mark. It now takes 100-105L under the same conditions, so I believe the computer take a while to become more accurate in it's determination of what empty is. At least the error is not in the other direction. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replys everyone!

Brad12kx - hilarious comment on the torque management!
That is interesting that the 32 gal leaves that much in "reserve" after empty. Two guys at work have 2012 rams but with the 26 gal tank and they regularly fill 80-90 liters. I wonder if the computer was programmer just a little to conservative on the 32 gal tank?
I will see if it corrects it's self over time.

No sloshing from my tank yet... That I have noticed

·
Registered
208 Posts
Nice review on the longhorn, I am waiting for my new longhorn to show up at my dealers and can't wait for it.

I'll have to watch out for some of the things on your 'not so good' list to see if they actually bother me too :p

·
Registered
487 Posts
I've only had my truck for a day now but so far so good. I'll take note of the fuel tank size issue you are experiencing and see how it compares. Refuelling a large tank will seem to be more painful in the pocket book although in reality it's just spread out farther. I'm hoping for better fuel mileage than the old truck.

As for the sound system I find the Alpine system to be on par with the Infinity system in my old '05. What I don't like about it is losing the storage space under the rear seat to the sub. In that aspect I wish they would have kept the Infinity system.

I have the Garmin nav system and it's Ok but not as good as a stand alone Nuvi. The voice guidance on the truck doesn't seem to have the same quality.

Power folding mirrors are definitely a missed item with the towing mirrors when trying to get in the garage. The backup camera will be really appreciated when hooking up the trailer. (My wife will appreciate it even more. :D)

I find the seats very comfortable, even in the back, and oodles of storage nooks although the glove box should have a light.

Under the hood I noticed the oil filler neck seems smaller than the old truck - thats a minus. And what's with the black rather than transparent coolant overflow and windshield washer bottles? I'm sure transparent bottles with a viewing slot cut into the rad support panel could have been done.

No vehicle is perfect and it's impossible to please everyone but overall I find it to be a much better truck than the 3rd gen I had and I had zero problems with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts