DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified the mounting hardware for the N fab nerf steps for more support or is it not needed on the 4th gen setup? I am installing my steps this weekend, just looking for any warnings or incite if anyone has this setup. I have heard of guys changing out the bolts and washers provided.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Has anyone modified the mounting hardware for the N fab nerf steps for more support or is it not needed on the 4th gen setup? I am installing my steps this weekend, just looking for any warnings or incite if anyone has this setup. I have heard of guys changing out the bolts and washers provided.
Which ones did you go with? I'm thinking about ordering the N-Durasteps for mine.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I went with the "wheel to wheel" steps (couldn't locate a specific product name on the website). I have seen mixed reviews on the mounting setup for these steps. I plan on posting pictures of the finished product and the mount setup if that helps you at all.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Ah OK. I went with the Cab Length n-Fabs on one of my previous trucks (Tundra). I loved them. I just thought the newer n-Durasteps had a pretty neat/unique look to them.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh ok good to know. Yes the n-durasteps do have a cool look to them my concern was my truck not being high enough. I didn't want it to look to close to the ground, if that makes sense. I just figured the wheel to wheel would have a lower profile and I do like the look of those also. Did they bolt to the body or the frame on your tundra?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I can't tell from you avatar picture but be careful if you have either factory or aftermarket fender flares. My Outdoorsman is at the dealership now having one flare replaced and two others having new adhesive put on because the NFAB steps are so close to the body they brush up against the fender flares when the body flexes. I'm going to have to modify them so they drop down a little further if that's possible.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just mounted them this evening and I did notice that they sit tight on the front flares. Mine are just stock but I was concerned about it. What exactly happened to your flares and what are they getting you for on new ones if you don't mind me asking?

·
Premium Member
32,663 Posts
When my N-Fabs were mounted, we switched the bolts to Grade 5
If i do decide to strengthen the mounts, i will add a third bolt to each bracket
they have been now for 4 years

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So no problems with them over the four years? Also, any issues with mud/snow/debris getting into the steps since they do not come with end caps? I will post some pics of my newly installed steps. Let me know what you think

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am happy with them overall. There were just a few things I did not like, but they feel fairly solid to me.

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
When I had mine, I felt they were quite sturdy and would not be of issue
Only had them for 2 months till I switched to AMP steps.
But I would not hesitate to grab them again

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
Any specific reason for switching to the AMPs?
My truck was too tall and my kids then were smaller. The amps do drop about 7-8" which is substantial.
Plus I liked the clean look when they tucked away.
But again, if I did not have the amps, I'd still be rocking the NFabs.

If you do need a set, let me know and I can get them to you

[email protected] :smileup:

·
Registered
32 Posts
I just mounted them this evening and I did notice that they sit tight on the front flares. Mine are just stock but I was concerned about it. What exactly happened to your flares and what are they getting you for on new ones if you don't mind me asking?
The passenger side front flare bowed out at the bottom where it meets up with the NFAB step. Warping flares is a pretty common problem so the dealership didn't think much of it and just ordered a new one under warranty. When their body shop guy was replacing it he said the step was part of the problem but they went ahead and covered it. The steps are off the truck now I think I just need to tweak them a bit so they drop about 1/4 of an inch further. I don't want them hanging down too low or it will look like crap since the NFAB kind of simulates a rock slider type look.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree I was concerned about getting them as tight to the body as I could without actually touching the truck. The front if the steps on both sides are just barely making contact with the plastic at the bottom of the fenders. I wasn't sure if that would cause problems or not since all pressure would be downward away from the contact point and again the contact is just very slight.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I had them on my Tundra for about 2 years until I sold the truck. They were very sturdy and I never had a single issue with them. I was concerned about them not having end caps, so I asked n-Fab about that before purchasing. I don't remember their exact response, but they said something about it being possible to have moisture trapped inside when using end caps (thus causing rusts, etc.). I never had one spot of rust or paint chipping on mine. I'll be ordering the regular cab lengths, or the n-Durasteps here shortly for my Ram.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I went with the wheel to wheel n-fabs, used hardware they supplied. As for the opened ends, to keep out snow, mud etc. I taped off the outside ends with newspaper and painters tape to protect the finish , filled the open ends with some spray foam insulation. Let it dry over nite, then cut it off flush the next day and finised with a couple shots of black spray paint.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the advice. I actually like that idea, I figured to get those covered I would have to get a little creative and that seems to be one of the better options because that should work to keep most if not all of the moisture out of the tubes. Have you had any rust/finish issues at all?

·
Registered
18,033 Posts
I went with the wheel to wheel n-fabs, used hardware they supplied. As for the opened ends, to keep out snow, mud etc. I taped off the outside ends with newspaper and painters tape to protect the finish , filled the open ends with some spray foam insulation. Let it dry over nite, then cut it off flush the next day and finised with a couple shots of black spray paint.
Very smart idea!
When I had mine is was like WTF? Really? No caps
Perfect solution to capping it off

1 - 20 of 22 Posts