DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Installed: Nav, Dash cam, Reverse cam in 2015 Tradesman

I just figured it would be worth sharing in case anyone else was looking for ideas.

I picked up a Garmin Nuvicam which is a 7" nav unit that also has a dash cam built into it, so as long as it has a clear view of the windshield it records what's happening in traffic.

It also allows you to connect extra, wireless cameras to use as a back-up camera - unfortunately they only let you use *their* camera so I couldn't do the slick, tailgate handle integrated unit but having theirs clipped to my license plate is OK.

To mount it, I bought a Bayou Goat mount which isn't quite tall enough with the default Garmin mounting cup.. so I also bought an Arkon extended mount.

For wiring, I used an extra 12v outlet socket ("Cigarette lighter") that I mounted using existing screws behind the HVAC controls and tied into the driver-side 12v outlet (ignition switched) and I enlarged the hole in the top of the dash, under the Bayou Goat mount using a rotary tool so I could pass the cord through it. None of this is visible and it's *almost* all reversible, I would just need to buy a new little rubber mat thing (the little rubber liner for that tray thing at the top of the center dash stack).

The rear view camera is wired into the 7-pin trailer harness (can't use the reverse lights on the truck, they use a modulated signal to detect bulb failure and won't work to power the camera) and its transmitter is physically mounted inside the body behind the pass. side taillight. All electrical connections are via T-taps wrapped in rubber tape and secured.

So.. pictures. I didn't take any during install, there are no surprises so if you can put on clothes in the morning I think you could do this.

This next one shows where the wire comes up, though it's from when I was first trying to get exactly the right wire length and I came up an inch or so short. The *second* wire, hanging in front of the dash is not needed, I was just using it briefly for testing.

One other nice thing with this unit, its "shoe" is magnetic so removing the unit doesn't wear anything out, I can leave the stand in place and since I bought a second shoe on Ebay I can transfer the unit back and forth to my van. The back-up camera doesn't transfer obviously but the nav and dashcam can then be used in both of my cars instead of getting separate ones.

As for obstruction of visibility, I'm 6'1" tall and only a tiny portion of the top corner obstructs visibility - the 2nd photo from the top is similar to what I see while seated. The majority of the unit is only obstructing my view of the dashboard and hood. Unfortunately it is necessary to mount this unit pretty high up due to its dash cam. I think that if you are shorter, it might be a lot more wise to mount something like this way up high from the top of your windshield instead - actually that's where I mounted the 2nd shoe in my 2002 Windstar, top left corner of the windshield. It's the least obstructive to visibility for me there.

·
Registered
17,496 Posts
Excellent write up, Erik. Thanks for the show and tell.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Very nice. So the front camera is recording all the time even when in navigation mode? What kind of storage does it have?

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Rep Points for such an excellent write up and sharing it with us.

Dave

·
Banned
1,084 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Very nice. So the front camera is recording all the time even when in navigation mode? What kind of storage does it have?
Correct, always recording from the front camera when power is applied. It has two different storage locations; one for "first in, first out" loop recording of everyday driving around and one where it moves "events" which it automatically does if you are involved in a collision or hit a pot-hole too hard (I have done one of those two things) - it automatically locked the 2 minutes before that event and showed an alert on the screen.

If you witness something but are not involved in a collision you can manually lock it or just disconnect power from the device which will prevent it loop recording over itself. It comes with a 32gb class 10 microSD card, and it has two separate microSD slots. One is for video recording and I assume the other is for more maps or something? Plus it has internal storage for its own maps. It comes with "lifetime" maps, weather and traffic.

Here is the same unit mounted in my Windstar, I can transfer it back and forth between the vehicles casually without moving wires or any of that nonsense and like I said since the shoe is magnetic there are no snaps or friction fits to wear out. I bought discs made of 3M VHB "Very High Bond" adhesive and used one between the very clean suction cup and very clean windshield, and it's adhered just above the tint line so the sun shouldn't beat up the VHB adhesive much. That makes it effectively a permanent bond until I feel like flossing it off of there.

They also have a version intended for professional drivers that allows you to specify your tractor/trailer combo and weight so it will try to avoid routing you down roads you can't take, short overpasses and weight limits. I have the old, NON-camera version of that in my company truck (68' long combination, 18 ton GCW) and it's nice though I found the HOS function to be more hassle than it's worth. The professional driver version is called DEZLCAM .

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have a ST model and did not want to try and do a factory upgrade to have a back up camera. I chose a 7” Garmin GPS with backup camera but no forward camera.
I fabricated my mount from the W/Shield mount by cutting off the suction device. I removed the small tray on top of the center stack and drilled a hole in the center then screwed the mount to it. I feed the power cord behind the center bezel and drilled a hole for it in the bezel and tray. I made a new rubber mat and kept the factory one if I remove all of this.
For the backup camera I removed the tailgate handle and used a hole saw smaller than the camera lens then used a dremel round cone grinding stone to enlarge to the size of the lens. The handle had the mounting bosses for the screws for the camera in place just no hole. I used one large head short sheet metal screw on one side and made a small L bracket for the other. The Garmin camera fit just fine.
I wired my camera power to my auxiliary lights under the rear bumper. They are wired through a relay with the power feed from the cargo lamp to operate.
Everything works great and easy to use.

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts